GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   "Woody" tomato leaves (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/190944-woody-tomato-leaves.html)

[email protected] 21-04-2010 12:30 AM

"Woody" tomato leaves

The leaves on some of my tomatoes are developing a "woody" appearance.
The leaves change color to light brown, the brown color has a shiny
woody appearance. In the most advanced stages, the leaves finally drop
off.

I looked at leaf symptoms he

http://tinyurl.com/y3lg3b8

but didn't see anything that looked ike it.

[email protected] 21-04-2010 01:33 PM

"Woody" tomato leaves

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:30:16 -0400 in wrote:
The leaves on some of my tomatoes are developing a "woody" appearance.
The leaves change color to light brown, the brown color has a shiny
woody appearance. In the most advanced stages, the leaves finally drop
off.

I looked at leaf symptoms he

http://tinyurl.com/y3lg3b8

but didn't see anything that looked ike it.

A picture of the leaf and the plant might be useful.

Are the leaves at the bottom dieing, or the leaves at the top?

Are these tomato plants you started yourself, or tomatoes you bought
from a store?

Last year retail tomato plants in the southeast came pre-infected
with early blight. *IF* the plants are showing any signs of
early blight and were purchased instead of grown from seed, I'd
get a sample to the ag extension office along with the source of
the plants.
--
Chris Dukes

[email protected] 21-04-2010 05:03 PM

"Woody" tomato leaves

wrote:
The leaves on some of my tomatoes are developing a "woody" appearance.
The leaves change color to light brown, the brown color has a shiny
woody appearance. In the most advanced stages, the leaves finally drop
off.

I looked at leaf symptoms he

http://tinyurl.com/y3lg3b8

but didn't see anything that looked ike it.

A picture of the leaf and the plant might be useful.

I'll see if I can get something up today.

In the meantime, go tot he above URL and scroll down to "Malathion
poisoning." That's a close approximation.

Are the leaves at the bottom dieing, or the leaves at the top?

Pretty much uniform distribution.

Are these tomato plants you started yourself, or tomatoes you bought
from a store?

I got them at Lowe's (building supplies, not grocery store). The last
time I was there, plants on their shelves had the same markings.

[email protected] 21-04-2010 05:20 PM

"Woody" tomato leaves

wrote:

A picture of the leaf and the plant might be useful.

Here's one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2494371...7616765823916/

As of this morning, all five plants are similarly infected.

[email protected] 22-04-2010 04:48 PM

"Woody" tomato leaves

wrote:

A picture of the leaf and the plant might be useful.

Here's one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2494371...7616765823916/

As of this morning, all five plants are similarly infected.

I sent a photo to the Master Gardeners' Program and got an immediate
phone reply: We don't know what this is, but it looks bad and you
should report it to the Wake Co. Extension. I just uploaded photos to
that site.

Worst case: I have to replace everything: plants, pots, and soil.

[email protected] 22-04-2010 05:02 PM

"Woody" tomato leaves

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:48:09 -0400 in wrote:

I sent a photo to the Master Gardeners' Program and got an immediate
phone reply: We don't know what this is, but it looks bad and you
should report it to the Wake Co. Extension. I just uploaded photos to
that site.

I can't identify it either, but with the picture I know what to
look for at other Lowes stores.

Be ready to drop off plant and "soil" samples at the NCDA facilities off
of Reedy Creek Rd.

Worst case: I have to replace everything: plants, pots, and soil.

Worst case it affects more than the nightshade family and it's
a problem for the rural areas where gardeners may buy eggplant,
tomato, and pepper plants.

--
Chris Dukes

[email protected] 22-04-2010 06:52 PM

"Woody" tomato leaves

wrote:

I sent a photo to the Master Gardeners' Program and got an immediate
phone reply: We don't know what this is, but it looks bad and you
should report it to the Wake Co. Extension. I just uploaded photos to
that site.

I can't identify it either, but with the picture I know what to
look for at other Lowes stores.

Be ready to drop off plant and "soil" samples at the NCDA facilities off
of Reedy Creek Rd.

Worst case: I have to replace everything: plants, pots, and soil.

Worst case it affects more than the nightshade family and it's
a problem for the rural areas where gardeners may buy eggplant,
tomato, and pepper plants.

I went back to the Lowe's on Barton Grove Rd. in Raleigh and readily
found dozens like mine on the shelves. I spoke to the lady who
represented herself as the resident expert on plant diseases and she
said it was just lack of water. BULLSHIT!

I'm waiting for a reply from the extension before I do anything more.

[email protected] 22-04-2010 08:25 PM

"Woody" tomato leaves

wrote:

A picture of the leaf and the plant might be useful.

Here's one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2494371...7616765823916/

As of this morning, all five plants are similarly infected.

I sent a photo to the Master Gardeners' Program and got an immediate
phone reply: We don't know what this is, but it looks bad and you
should report it to the Wake Co. Extension. I just uploaded photos to
that site.

Here are the photos the extension site requested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2494371...7616765823916/

Look at the most recent six.

Veggieveg 10-05-2010 08:52 PM

Hi there,

Did you ever get an answer on this to identify the problem? i have three tomato plants going the same way. Im not sure what to do.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...52010102-1.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...0052010104.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/y...0052010105.jpg