GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cucumbers: Optimum size (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/192850-cucumbers-optimum-size.html)

[email protected] 21-07-2010 10:42 PM

Cucumbers: Optimum size

Some of my cucumbers are approaching the size of a two-man submarine.
Is there an optimal size for use in salads? Are they getting too big?

?[_4_] 22-07-2010 12:16 PM

Cucumbers: Optimum size

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:42:24 -0400 in wrote:
Some of my cucumbers are approaching the size of a two-man submarine.
Is there an optimal size for use in salads? Are they getting too big?

I'd give two criteria.
1) Does it still taste good?
2) Is the flesh to seed ratio still acceptable?

There's a 3rd criteria
3) How many of the damn things do you want? If fewer start letting
them become watermelons so there won't be as many flowers.

Daniel B. Martin 22-07-2010 09:54 PM

Cucumbers: Optimum size

On 07/21/2010 04:42 PM, wrote:
Some of my cucumbers are approaching the size of a two-man submarine.
Is there an optimal size for use in salads? Are they getting too big?

I prefer to harvest cukes when they are 6 to 8 inches long.

When they are plentiful I make a *big* batch of cucumber-onion salad, to
share with friends and neighbors. Use 3 parts cucumber (peeled and
sliced thinly) to 1 part sweet onion (peeled and sliced thinly). Using
a food processor takes the tedium out of the slicing.

Marinate in a light dressing of your own choosing. I mix two packets
of dry Italian salad dressing with olive oil, cider vinegar, lemon
juice, water, salt, and sugar.

Refrigerate overnight. Next day, taste and correct the seasoning.
Aim for a taste-pleasing balance of the tart and sweet flavors.

Serve cold. Keeps in the 'fridge for a week.

I have no detailed recipe; this dish is prepared by "seat of the pants."
If you want a recipe, Google will provide.

Daniel B. Martin