Old 30-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Tomatolord

Default Storm mulch - any news?

Has anyone seen anything on the storm mulch - cary was supposed to have a
mulch days where they load the mulch for free and so was raleigh. However,
I have not seen anything....

TIA

Tomatolord

Old 30-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Kelly Garner

In article ,
Tomatolord wrote:
Has anyone seen anything on the storm mulch - cary was supposed to have a
mulch days where they load the mulch for free and so was raleigh. However,
I have not seen anything....

Cary had mulch days back a few months ago (Feb). I did not hear anything about
Raleigh offering for free. Durham mulch giveaway was in March.
No info on the townofcary.org solid waste services site. Google search for "Cary mulch"
yields old WRAL TV stories.

Cheers
KJ
--
---
"New Zealand is the Carrboro of the world." -- TJ
Old 30-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Marcy Hege

Cary's giveaway was a couple of months ago...there really wasn't much media
coverage of the program.

FYI, I think you can "load your own" at the Cary Service Center located off
Dixon (off West Chatham stree). Call the Town of Cary Street Maintenance
department for more info.
Old 30-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Kelly Garner

In article ,
Marcy Hege wrote:
Cary's giveaway was a couple of months ago...there really wasn't much media
coverage of the program.

well, I guess if you don't read the paper or watch the news, anyhow.
I saw lots of coverage/hype about it in the week leading up to it.

Cheers
KJ
--
---
Old 01-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Robert Gray

I think the bulk of it is gone. I haven't been up to the Dixon site lately.
But they did have a freebee day one Saturday a few months back.

First, they had a loading weekend at the site on 55, north of Jenks Rd.
Fri, Sat and Sun for the public. Then they closed the yard and the rest of
the mulch was hauled away by the contractor.

At the Penny Rd site, they had a huge pile. The town never did open that
site to the public. They were concerned about traffic. Maybe they learned
from the lines that formed at the 55 site. Anyway, they paid a contractor to
remove the mulch from the Penny Rd site. They ran 2 or 3 trucks all day
long - hauling it to Holly Springs and other sites - for several weeks. They
were using two new 50 yard trucks (with the high sides and a grapple bucket
on top of the truck) that are normally used for cleaning up storm debris
from the roadside. I was told they weigh 40 tons unloaded and 70 tons with a
full load. $80,000 each - if I remember correctly.

Depending on who you talked to and the property damage waiver you signed,
they were willing to bring a load to your place. Unfortunately, at one of
the dump places, they had some damage to one of the trucks. After opening
the side swinging rear dump door, the driver failed to secure it before
dumping. So it swung back and the dump action smashed it into the ground -
causing the hinges to twist. The door was mis-aligned bad enough that they
could not use it for several days - and there was an $800 repair cost to fix
it. So they were running behind schedule, but still considering dump places
that were closer - to save time. Even though the company docked the job
supervisor's pay for the repair cost.

Of course, if the truck happened to sink in soft soil while starting to
dump, it would not be a time saver. They have to be very concerned that the
truck is level when dumping, or the whole truck can go over to one side or
the other. They might just have to use the grapple bucket on the truck to
offload about half of the load. And what if the truck was still too heavy to
move out of the mud. So, if they had to bring successively larger tow
vehicles (Diesel 4x4, Loaded tandem, and finally the loader itself), that
could take 3 or 4 hours - what with digging and chaining, pulling and
slipping. Definitely not what was supposed to happen. But an interesting way
to spend an afternoon nonetheless. Fortunately, I had plenty of fill dirt to
fill in the 3 foot deep ruts.

How about trying the Raleigh Yard Waste site on New Hope. I got some wood
chips over there yesterday and they also have mulch. The compost also looked
good. I will need some to mix with the red clay I just spread for a new
lawn. Anyone have any comments on the compost?

If anyone wants a load delivered and spread - let me know. I can work for a
reasonable rate - currently unemployed...

Regards,
Robert

.. .

Old 01-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Bob Overby

"Marcy Hege" wrote in message
Cary's giveaway was a couple of months ago...there really wasn't much

media
coverage of the program.

FYI, I think you can "load your own" at the Cary Service Center located

off
Dixon (off West Chatham stree). Call the Town of Cary Street Maintenance
department for more info.

I rode by the Dixon site and there is no "pile" there now. I have gotten it
there often in the past. I did get several truckloads of the Cary storm
mulch back a few months ago, also.

Old 01-05-2003, 06:20 PM
MAC

How about trying the Raleigh Yard Waste site on New Hope.

Could you tell us exactly where on New Hope it's located?

Thanks,

MAC

Old 01-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Robert Gray

Sure,

Raleigh Yard Waste is on the east side of New Hope about halfway between 64
and Poole Rd.

Here is some more info:
http://www.raleigh-nc.org/sws/ywctr.htm
http://www.raleigh-nc.org/sws/forsale.htm

Keep in mind - the hours are 7:00 - 3:45 M-S

Regards,
Robert

Old 02-05-2003, 10:10 PM
MAC

Raleigh Yard Waste is on the east side of New Hope about halfway between 64
and Poole Rd.

Great! Thanks for the info. Since I work from home, the hours aren't a
problem, just a method of getting the stuff here ;-)

MAC

Old 06-05-2003, 02:56 AM
ncstockguy

Interestingly enough I went to the Cary mulch site after that first
giveaway weekend, and discovered there were still huge piles of mulch
there but a private company had the contract to haul it somewhere
else, and individuals could NOT load any onto their own vehicles.
Furthermore the town of Cary was using FEDERAL FEMA DOLLARS to fund
this. Remember the disaster declaration after last December's ice
storm? So the taxpayers were funding this haul-away program by some
company, while the citizens of Cary were not allowed to pick up any
more mulch for free. Very strange world we live in.

Old 06-05-2003, 06:20 PM
PraGir

So, has anyone found out the best place to get mulch in Cary? I need
around 6-8 cu. yds. but I dont have anything to transport it with.
Blythe REcycling in Apex said that they would give it for 8/cu yd w/o
delivery. Mulch Masters says 16/cu yd and 8 cu yd free delivery.

Anybody recommend a cheaper and/or better place.

thanks.

Good news/bad news Mike Patterson Ponds 2 19-05-2004 08:09 PM
Good News-Bad News Bob Adkins Ponds 2 14-09-2003 06:32 PM
Anyone have any old storm windows Mike North Carolina 2 05-07-2003 07:32 AM
Sad news, good news and questions all in one message Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 18 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
There is good news and bad news Essjay001 United Kingdom 0 10-06-2003 02:32 AM