Old 03-09-2010, 05:34 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Crop failure

I'm about ready to call it quits with my container garden for this
year.

My onion sets mostly rotted.

I started the lettuce too late and it all went to seed. I had some Bak
Choi, but the cabbage worms got it.

I planted onion seeds and carrots too close together and they didn't
amount to anything, so I pulled them all up yesterday.

I got a half dozen eggplants, but they have stopped producing, so
that's gone.

Tomatoes and onions have suffered from the heat. I haven't been able
to keep them watered and repeated cycles of wilting and watering have
stressed them to the breaking point. I got some nice tomatoes early
on, but they have mostly stopped producing and the ones that are
coming are split and deformed. Then came the hornworms. Early peppers
suffered from blossom end rot. There are a half dozen good ones now,
but last year they produced heavily until frost in November.

I do have some huge cucumbers, but the vines are dying and the leaves
are lacework. Can't see what's eating them.

And my water bill for two months is $100 more than before I started
the garden. The whole thing is going to the compost pile this weekend.