GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Norfolk Island pine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/194984-norfolk-island-pine.html)

[email protected] 24-12-2010 09:04 PM

Norfolk Island pine

Last year around Christmas, I bought a small Norfolk Island pine in a
pot. After the holidays, I moved it to the deck, where it's been fine
until this recent cold snap. Now it looks seriously frostbitten. I
would have thought an evergreen to be cold hardy.

I brought it inside, but what's the deal?

?[_4_] 27-12-2010 03:17 PM

Norfolk Island pine

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 15:04:09 -0500 in wrote:
Last year around Christmas, I bought a small Norfolk Island pine in a
pot. After the holidays, I moved it to the deck, where it's been fine
until this recent cold snap. Now it looks seriously frostbitten. I
would have thought an evergreen to be cold hardy.

I brought it inside, but what's the deal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_heterophylla

They aren't frost tolerant.
And having a plant in a container makes it less frost tolerant.