GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   2011 vegetable gardening season begins (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/195652-2011-vegetable-gardening-season-begins.html)

Daniel B. Martin 19-02-2011 09:10 PM

2011 vegetable gardening season begins

This afternoon we planted sugar snap peas.
Soil moisture was ideal.
High hopes for bountiful harvests this year!

Daniel B. Martin

WesD 20-02-2011 06:32 PM

2011 vegetable gardening season begins

On Feb 19, 4:10*pm, "Daniel B. Martin"
wrote:
This afternoon we planted sugar snap peas.
Soil moisture was ideal.
High hopes for bountiful harvests this year!

Daniel B. Martin

Tilled mine yesterday. It was a two tylenol night. Bought Snow peas
and seed potatoes (Arkansas Blue), blackeyed peas and stringbeans for
later. Hope to plant tomorrow - maybe the today if the mood strikes.
Still need to add lime and go back and buy some swiss chard and
onions. It was quite prolific last year and survived the heat better
and lasted longer than other greens.

and19bre 22-03-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel B. Martin (Post 913227)
This afternoon we planted sugar snap peas.
Soil moisture was ideal.
High hopes for bountiful harvests this year!

Daniel B. Martin

High hopes indeed! I was wondering what fruit trees would be best to plant this season! Any help? I would mostly appreciate it! Thank you Daniel!

Daniel B. Martin 22-03-2011 10:36 PM

On 03/22/2011 07:02 AM, and19bre wrote:
High hopes indeed! I was wondering what fruit trees would be best to
plant this season! Any help? I would mostly appreciate it!

Grow what you like to eat!

I grow mostly veggies. My only fruit trees are Asian Persimmons.
Neighbors grow lovely peaches and blueberries. The berries grow on a
bush, not a tree, and produce a bountiful harvest of healthful fruit.

Your choice of tree might be influenced by the nature of your soil.
The NC Department of Agriculture performs soil tests at no charge.
http://www.ncagr.gov/agronomi/uyrst.htm

Be aware that most fruit requires spraying to control insect pests and
fencing to exclude hungry animals.

Daniel B. Martin

and19bre 27-03-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel B. Martin (Post 915724)
On 03/22/2011 07:02 AM, and19bre wrote:[color=blue][i]
I grow mostly veggies. My only fruit trees are Asian Persimmons.
Neighbors grow lovely peaches and blueberries. The berries grow on a
bush, not a tree, and produce a bountiful harvest of healthful fruit.

Your choice of tree might be influenced by the nature of your soil.
The NC Department of Agriculture performs soil tests at no charge.
NCDA&CS Agronomic Division - Soil Test Forms and Information

Be aware that most fruit requires spraying to control insect pests and
fencing to exclude hungry animals.

Daniel B. Martin

Wow! Great tip! I would love to plant some berries too. Which kind do your neighbors grow? How would I know which type would do well on the type of soil that I have?

Daniel B. Martin 27-03-2011 04:26 PM

On 03/27/2011 07:42 AM, and19bre wrote:
I would love to plant some berries too.
Which kind do your neighbors grow?

They don't know. The bushes were on the property when they bought the
house.

How would I know which type would do well on the
type of soil that I have?

Good information found he
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8207.html

Daniel B. Martin