Old 01-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Penny Morgan

Default What to do with the unripe tomatoes?

I ripened many tomatoes a couple of years ago when the weather got cold.
Pick just the healthy green ones (no dark spots or cuts, etc.). Put them in
a large brown paper grocery bag (lay it on it's side) in a single layer.
Put a few bananas in the bag and just wait to see when they ripen. I had
mine inside the house in a warm environment. There is a gas or chemical
that is given off from the bananas that causes the tomatoes to ripen. I
just never remember the name of it. Good luck.

P.S. If you have sheets of newspaper, you can lay some down and then use a
layer to cover them instead of using the paper bags.

Penny
"Sunny" wrote in message
There are a lot of unripe tomatoes growing in my garden. With the cold
weather setting in, they probably won't ripen. Anyone knows how to ripen
them or do they just go to waste?

Old 01-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Gena

"Sunny" wrote in message ...
There are a lot of unripe tomatoes growing in my garden. With the cold
weather setting in, they probably won't ripen. Anyone knows how to ripen
them or do they just go to waste?

3 words. Green Tomato Chutney.

yum,
gena