GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Replacing wheelbarrow tire? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/19709-replacing-wheelbarrow-tire.html)

Laurie Brooke Adams \(Mother Mastiff\) 01-05-2003 06:33 PM

Replacing wheelbarrow tire?

I need some way to replace the tire on the wheelbarrow before Saturday,
because I am bringing home 700 lbs. of chicken feed on Friday (stocking up
before my surgery because I won't be able to drive afterward and will be
stuck at home for ages).

I went to Northern Equipment Co and they sold me a new tire and told me a
tire company could change it for me. Three tire companies (and three snide
comments from tire co. employees) later, I REALLY need the darn thing fixed.
Without feedback. I have arthritis and can't do something like this myself.

I also need air in the tires of the hand truck, but can get air in tires
much more easily (apparently) than I can get a tire replaced.

Where on earth do people go to get things like this done?

clueless in SW Apex....

-- laurie brooke adams (Mother Mastiff) mastiffs at mindspring dot-com
***If a DOG could choose whether to just be beautiful, or to be sound
and healthy TOO, what do YOU think the dog would choose?***
(C) 2002 My words are my own. If you want to use them, ASK ME FIRST.

Dark egg breeds: Welsummer, Marans. Also Exchequer Leghorns.
Chicks only, accepting reservations now for 2003

George Alan Esworthy 01-05-2003 06:33 PM

Replacing wheelbarrow tire?

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:08:01 -0400, "Laurie Brooke Adams \(Mother
Mastiff\)" wrote:

I need some way to replace the tire on the wheelbarrow before Saturday,
because I am bringing home 700 lbs. of chicken feed on Friday (stocking up
before my surgery because I won't be able to drive afterward and will be
stuck at home for ages).

I went to Northern Equipment Co and they sold me a new tire and told me a
tire company could change it for me. Three tire companies (and three snide
comments from tire co. employees) later, I REALLY need the darn thing fixed.
Without feedback. I have arthritis and can't do something like this myself.

I also need air in the tires of the hand truck, but can get air in tires
much more easily (apparently) than I can get a tire replaced.

Where on earth do people go to get things like this done?

Laurie,

I just did the same replacement last weekend. At Home Depot I found
several choices and went with an already-mounted tire and wheel filled
with urethane foam. It was just over $20. Five minutes with a 1/2"
socket wrench and it was good to go. The new ball-bearing wheel fit
perfectly on the existing axle.

I use my wheel barrow only occasionally and so I didn't want to worry
about keeping air in the tire. I don't really know about long-term
reliability of this kind of tire but it seemed to be the best choice
for me.

If I were you I'd take the tire back to Northern and go to HD.

--
Regards, George Alan Esworthy

"The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people."
-- Justice Louis Brandeis

Wes Dukes 01-05-2003 06:33 PM

Mastiff\)" wrote:

[...]

But if you really really want it mounted, then go to a lawn mower repair
facility. Cary Mower and Saw did do them 5 years ago. I had inner tubes
put into some tubeless hand truck tires. I tried NTB and they said they
just were not equiped to handle such small diameters. They pointed me to
lawn repair.

--
Wes Dukes

Tom Gauldin 01-05-2003 06:33 PM

Replacing wheelbarrow tire?

I've done both the wheelbarrow and garden tractor-type tires myself, by
CAREFULLY using my largest screwdrivers and once a Wonderbar. It really
isn't as hard as you'd think. If there's a trick, it's getting the new or
repaired tire to seal around the rim for inflation. If you don't use a
tube, you can force the tire outward to get a starting seal by wrapping
clothes line around the deflated tire, inserting a screwdriver as a lever
and twisting it to compress the tire. This forces the beads out to the rim
and lets you get started inflating it.

CAUTION- once the beads "bite" the rim, remove the clothes line rope before
continuing to inflate the tire.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

Kira Dirlik 01-05-2003 06:33 PM

Mastiff\)" wrote:

I need some way to replace the tire on the wheelbarrow before Saturday,

One time I carried too heavy a load in mine and got a flat. My
officemate was going to WalMart for new tires the next day, so I
brought it in and she took it there. They gafawed, and made jokes,
but they happily fixed it and didn't charge anything. (Welll, my
officemate has a really good way with those mechanic guys. Maybe they
wouldn't have fixed it for me. ha ha)
I think it wasn't actually flat, but had come loose from the rim and
lost its air.
Good luck
Kira

Brad Stokes 01-05-2003 06:33 PM

Replacing wheelbarrow tire?

Wish I would have know that....I trashed my wheelbarrow several years
ago b/c I balked at the price of fixing it. The tires were as much as
my wheelbarrow. Mine came loose from the rim.....Next time I see one
laying in the trash, I'm snagging it....
Brad

Carl Sommer 01-05-2003 06:33 PM

Replacing wheelbarrow tire?

One other old farmers trick to get a better seal around the rim
is to spray ammonia on the surfaces involved before inflating.

Carl

In article ,
says...

"Wes Dukes" wrote in message

--
To reply to me, take the RED out of my address.