Old 01-05-2003, 06:33 PM
J. Fleming

Default strange mushroom ID?

Hello all,

I have a friend who has found a beautiful pale lavendar "toadstool" type
mushroom that are perhaps up to 2" in diameter and maybe an inch off the
ground that grow below the grass line. They are very high in water
content and very delicate with almost a ruffle shape on the edges of the
cap. We can't find it in any mushroom ID book and look to this group to
see if they can tell us what they are. We are just curious!

Many thanks,

Judi

Old 01-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Kira Dirlik

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:15:51 -0400, "J. Fleming"
wrote:

Hello all,

I have a friend who has found a beautiful pale lavendar "toadstool" type
mushroom that are perhaps up to 2" in diameter and maybe an inch off the
ground that grow below the grass line. They are very high in water
content and very delicate with almost a ruffle shape on the edges of the
cap. We can't find it in any mushroom ID book and look to this group to
see if they can tell us what they are. We are just curious!

Many thanks,

Judi

I can't help in the ID, but I saw two of the same ones in my woods. I
have never seen these before. I thought of them more as light slate
blue, but you could say a greyish lavender. Discription the same,
coming up under some leaves, and partially exposed, til I uncovered
them to look.
Kira

Old 01-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Anne Lurie

Judi,

I found a website that *might* have an image that would help you. It's
the John C. Tacoma Mushroom Slide Collection, 1968-1978, Indiana
University -- and it seems to have a *lot* of images:

http://www.ulib.iupui.edu/special/mss019.html

Good luck!

Anne Lurie

PS -- Googling for "blue mushroom" brings up images, but they're fish!
Old 01-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Laurie Brooke Adams \(Mother Mastiff\)

Hi Anne,

Thanks for the great link! After noodling around, I saw some very familiar
sights.

I have greyish-lavender blue ones like this:
http://www.ulib.iupui.edu/special/tacoma/mush0412.html

And tan ones like this:
http://www.ulib.iupui.edu/special/tacoma/mush0409.html

And coral-y red ones like this:
http://www.ulib.iupui.edu/special/tacoma/mush0404.html

http://www.ulib.iupui.edu/special/tacoma/mush0407.html

All of these are called Russula. Does anyone know about the toxicity with
these?

-- laurie brooke adams (Mother Mastiff) mastiffs at mindspring dot-com
***If a DOG could choose whether to just be beautiful, or to be sound
and healthy TOO, what do YOU think the dog would choose?***
(C) 2002 My words are my own. If you want to use them, ASK ME FIRST.

Dark egg breeds: Welsummer, Marans. Also Exchequer Leghorns.
Chicks only, accepting reservations now for 2003