Old 01-05-2003, 06:33 PM
mhill

Default lantania, will it hibernate over winter?

hi. i planted a lantania in a three foot high chimney type planter. it grew
to be about four feet tall and has red flowers with yellow centers. no seeds
yet.i live in Eden NC. my question is , if i wrap this chimney and plant in
a few layers of clear plastic wrap will it over winter? if not how do i
save the seeds for the next year. do the seeds have to go through the
intestines of a bird or animal?has anyone had success in overwintering this
type of tropical plant?

--
not original but have a nice day
mmh

Old 01-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Katie Boone

It really depends on the variety - do you still have have tag? They
are all only hardy to Zone 8 but some die back and winter over better
than others.

Tony Avent says that lantana camara "Miss Huff" is hardy here. See
his link:
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...nt/page61.html

I know that other varieties are hardy because I live in an older
neighborhood in Raleigh and see the same bushes come back year afer
year with aren't "Miss Huff" It will surely die back to the ground
in the winter though.

Here's another bit of information I got from googling "lantana
hardiness"

Lantana camara (in shades of pink, yellow, red) is a
tough shrub from the tropics/Caribbean.
Light: Sun, part shade.
Moistu Well drained soil, drought resistant. Too much water and
fertilizer will reduce bloom.
Hardiness: USDA Zone 8 - 11, likes both humid and dry heat. Lantana is
killed at 28° F, but quickly grows back.

Katie

Old 01-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Raleighgirl

"mhill" wrote in message
| thanks tony for the web site on the nursery. i found the
lantana i will
| order next year and i found two other plants i have been
looking for. do
| they have a catalogue?

The entire catalogue is on-line. To order a paper catalogue, go
to:
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...t/request.html
Jw

Old 01-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Tom Gauldin

FWIW, we brought lantana in from the deck for several years. It did well in
the house, but was happiest when returned to the deck in the spring. One
note of caution I'd have for anyone bringing in a lantana is that it has
very poor "manners" inside the house. The leaves secrete some sticky kind
of sap/gunk/mist that settles to the floor around the plant. It could ruin
carpet. In our case, the sun room had a ceramic tile floor and the sap could
be washed off in the spring using a citrus cleaner and sponge mop.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

"Raleighgirl" wrote in message