Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
John Kohl

Default Success with anemone blanda? (Grecian windflower)

No, I've never tried forcing them. I read the directions on the bag
that my current batch came in and was surprised to read that, in
addition to soaking them (for 6 hours), you are supposed to plant them
only 2-3 inches deep. I'm pretty sure I planted them 6 inches deep
before (like daffodils and tulips), so that's probably where I went
wrong.

Also, I read on a Web site somewhere that you are supposed to plant
them "bumpy side down." Ha! That's pretty funny to anyone who has
seen these bulbs, because they look pretty darned bumpy ALL OVER to
me!

Thanks.

John

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 21:47:05 -0500, wrote:

It looks like soaking in warm water for 1hr to overnight speeds up
development of the root system, so it might encourage them to bloom the
first possible spring. I sure hope so-- I just got about 60 & I'm hoping
they come up soon so I can figure out what color(s) they are! Probably
pink, but maybe I'll get lucky & have a few oddballs...

Have you tried forcing them? I'm wondering if I could convince 1 or 2 to
grow inside before spring comes around...

Arwen

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, John Kohl wrote:

Has anyone had success getting anemone blanda (Grecian windflowers) to
bloom the first Spring after planting?

A few years ago I planted 100 of them in the Fall. They did not come
up the following Spring, and thereafter I inadvertently dug most of
them up. The ones that remained bloomed the following year.

This year I ordered 100 more. Should I soak them in water before
planting? If so, for how long? Does anyone have any other
suggestions?

Thanks.

John Kohl

Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM

Hmm... 6 hours... I guess mine will take their time then. Oh well.

The "rule of thumb" that I've seen most often for bulby things is to have
about as much soil over them as they are high (the bulb, that is) or to
plant them as deep as the bulb is tall. Not that I pay attention-- I tend
to make sure they're generally covered, but I've never gone so far as to
measure anything.

"bumpy side"? Whoever wrote those instructions must never have seen an
anemone....

Arwen

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, John Kohl wrote:

[...]

Aenenome Blanda damage fredbt About GardenBanter 1 23-09-2010 05:42 PM
Anemone blanda Lee and Kath United Kingdom 6 21-12-2003 11:13 AM
Japanese Anemone Janice United Kingdom 0 03-10-2003 12:03 AM
Anemone blanda showing? Hussein M. United Kingdom 8 16-04-2003 01:20 AM
anemone coronaria papa United Kingdom 1 06-12-2002 08:03 PM