Old 01-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Doug Bradley

Default Sprinkler winterization?

We bought a house this year, and it came with a sprinkler system.

It's a first for me, so can anyone please relate or point me to some
winterization instructions?

All I've been able to find so far are instructions which talk about
hooking up an air compressor and purging the lines. Does it get that
cold here to need that? Of course, I didn't put in this system so I
have no idea how deep the lines are (probably not very!)

Any suggestions welcomed.

tia,
Doug
Old 01-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Anne Lurie

Was your sprinkley system professionally installed? If so, I'd contact
the installer and/or manufacturer -- just a guess, as I've never had a
sprinkler system, although the past few summers have sorely tempted me!

BTW, if you search for this topic on the Internet, disregard any sites
that begin with "www.homepopular.com" as it only measures the number of
hits that any given site receives -- and it's tough to get out of
their "loop"!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 01-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Doc Muhlbaier

If your backflow device is above grade you should turn off the water and
remove it to a place that won't freeze (garage or crawlspace). If it is
underground, most people in my neighborhood just leave it in the ground;
maybe turn off the water at the pressure reduction valve and run a test
cycle to releave the pressure and drain some of the water.

Although my blackflow device is underground, I do remove it. It's the most
expensive single piece of the system (after the electronics), so it's cheap
insurance. In Durham, blackflow testing is required every spring, so I just
have the plumber re-install it.

No need to blow-out the system, even if it is just 4" deep; it just doesn't
get that cold in the Triangle (BTW, the standard for professional
installation is 8-12" deep).

Doc

Old 01-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Tom Gauldin

I agree with the suggestion of pulling the backflow preventer. However, I
don't agree with not blowing out the line. It's a no-brainer to do and you
get some added "insurance" against freeze.

The simplest way for me was to actually connect up my air compressor's line
to the water line via a ball valve. However, another way is to use a short
piece of garden hose. On one end, put in a male air chuck and on the other
a female garden hose connector. Then all you do is connect the air
compressor's line to the adapter and let her rip.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

"Doc Muhlbaier" wrote in message

Gear driven sprinkler versus impact sprinkler MiamiCuse Lawns 2 11-11-2008 03:40 AM
question winterization lawn sprinkler system BA Lawns 2 06-11-2006 04:46 PM
Winterization of Endless Summer Hydrangea (zone 4) Rookie Gardening 3 12-09-2006 08:07 PM
sprinkler systems BigDaDDY Lawns 3 08-01-2004 10:45 PM
90 gallon pond winterization claude rogers Ponds 7 05-11-2003 09:02 PM