Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Jacqueline Davidson

Default Peony

I am longing to grow a Peony. Can SKS advise me as to what pink doubles do
best in our zone 7, and where does one get this plant? Also when is the best
time to find and plant one? (and if not a double pink, what would do best?)
Thanks,
Jackie in Rocky Mount

Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Gena

I am longing to grow a Peony. Can SKS advise me as to what pink doubles
do
best in our zone 7, and where does one get this plant? Also when is the

best
time to find and plant one? (and if not a double pink, what would do

best?)
Thanks,
Jackie in Rocky Mount

i have one, glowing candles i believe it's name is, that i purchased from
white flower farm about 5 years ago. absolutely beautiful! a delicate pink
with yellow center. they are considered a single, but they are far from
single. take a look:
www.whiteflowerfarm.com

when you look for a variety that will do well in this area, try and find
some that are not too ruffley, and are early season. if you don't, they
will get mouldy or mildewy while in bud and never bloom. also, they will be
labeled full sun--don't do it! find a rich, well drained spot with half day
sun at most, dappled sun is best. the foliage on mine will go dormant by
the end of the season, looking for all the world to have died, then come
back next year twice the size.

there is always festiva maxima, easy to find, and prolific after a few
years, but it is white with red flecks, still, very beautiful, a classic.

gena