Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Stephen Schmidt II

Default Pruning Apple Trees

Hello,

I have 2 apple trees that are in need of pruning and I'm not sure where to
start. Does anyone know anybody that prunes fruit trees profesionally?

I have done alot of research on the subject but I am just not confident
that I will be able to give it what it needs.

Thanks,

Stephen
Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Pat Brothers

Best to prune fruit trees in February when they are dormant but getting
ready to bud out. Check the paper around that time. There is usually a
pruning workshop at the JC Raulston Arboretum. I think I know someone at
work who might be a good source of info. I will ask him. Bug me. I
forget things easily.

--
Pat Brothers
The Powell House

Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
MAC

The NC Cooperative Extension Service has published "Training and
Pruning Fruit Trees," which is available at the Extension office on
Carya Drive. It's free. They also have a wide array of other helpful
publications.

MAC

Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
C G

MAC wrote:

The NC Cooperative Extension Service has published "Training and
Pruning Fruit Trees," which is available at the Extension office on
Carya Drive. It's free. They also have a wide array of other helpful
publications.

MAC

and for those who do not want to drive, try this URL:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag29.html

Chuck
Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
joy in nc

I'd be interested in comparing notes later.

I have a couple very old (40-50 YO?) apple trees with multiple stresses
(dead wood, overgrown, falling down, etc). Remarkably, they are still
producing apples, but I think they will be happier and healthier with some
pruning to let more air and sunlight into the interiors. I have been
clearing away branches in stages over the years, starting with the obviously
dead wood, then taking out some of the crossing branches and smaller stuff
that is not really helping the trees.

My main resource has been Pruning Simplified by Lewis Hill, Garden Way
Publishing/Storey Communications, Inc. (green softcover).
I've found lots of good advice and drawings for pruning different varieties
of trees, including ideal times, shapes and strategies, how to treat new
twigs vs. old ones trees, etc.
Well, you have probably read all about that already!

If the trees are really bent out of shape, they will need to be pruned in
stages to let the trees adjust. Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about
the results.

Joy in Durham

7...