GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where to buy Little Gem Magnolia? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/19734-where-buy-little-gem-magnolia.html)

Daniel Barton 01-05-2003 05:34 PM

Where to buy Little Gem Magnolia?

My wife and I want to purchase a Little Gem Magnolia tree
for our home. I've seen these for sale at local nurseries
but they were pretty expensive. Does anybody know of a
wholesale nursery that we can get one at a cheaper price?

Thanks, Daniel

| |

Daniel Barton 01-05-2003 05:34 PM

Daniel Barton wrote:

My wife and I want to purchase a Little Gem Magnolia tree
for our home. I've seen these for sale at local nurseries
but they were pretty expensive. Does anybody know of a
wholesale nursery that we can get one at a cheaper price?

I discovered that McLamb's Nursery in Angier sells these
trees. You have to call and order one and then they'll
dig it out of the field and ball/burlap it for you. Does
anyone here have any experience with their trees?

Thanks, Daniel

| |

Pat Brothers 01-05-2003 05:34 PM

Where to buy Little Gem Magnolia?

My Little Gem blooms from summer into November. They need a lot of sun
to bloom and remain full. Mine was in a bit too much shade until we
took down a big oak. Any of your local nurseries should carry them. A
well grown tree may cost more but may be worthwhile considering how slow
they grow.

--
Pat Brothers
The Powell House

Daniel Barton 01-05-2003 05:34 PM

Pat Brothers wrote:

My Little Gem blooms from summer into November. They need a lot of sun
to bloom and remain full. Mine was in a bit too much shade until we
took down a big oak. Any of your local nurseries should carry them. A
well grown tree may cost more but may be worthwhile considering how slow
they grow.

How large has yours gotten? From what I've read they grow
about a foot a year and do bloom almost year round. We're
looking forward to planting ours.

Daniel

| |

Pat Brothers 01-05-2003 05:34 PM

Where to buy Little Gem Magnolia?

Definitely not a foot a year. I will be interested to see how this year
goes however as it will get a lot more sun. A foot a year may be true
for early growth but they slow down as they mature. It is really a
pretty new cultivar so I don't know that mature specimens even exist.

Daniel Barton wrote:

Pat Brothers wrote:

My Little Gem blooms from summer into November. They need a lot of sun
to bloom and remain full. Mine was in a bit too much shade until we
took down a big oak. Any of your local nurseries should carry them. A
well grown tree may cost more but may be worthwhile considering how slow
they grow.

How large has yours gotten? From what I've read they grow
about a foot a year and do bloom almost year round. We're
looking forward to planting ours.

Daniel

--
ÐÏࡱá