Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Susan Hogarth

Default Kiwifruit

Has anyone tried growing kiwi here? The little berry-sized ones look like they'd
be OK for this climate. My fat old beagle, Ed, loves the apples and pears which
rain from heaven every summer, and I'd like to surprise him with something new
next season

And... pomegranates? Does anyone around here grow them - even in containers? I
saw one in full fruit in Albuquerque once, so it seems as if it would be do-able
here....

- Susan
Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Mike Blake-Knox

I had several kiwi plants when I lived in southern Durham. The only
ones that bore fruit were of the Isaii variety. I probably harvested
less than a pint.

The new growth on the plants didn't like hot sunny days. Shadecloth
helped but didn't solve the problem. I don't know whether my particular
environment was unsuitable or if it's a more general result.

Mike Blake-Knox

Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Kira Dirlik

On Sun, 01 Dec 2002 03:19:55 GMT, Susan Hogarth
wrote:

And... pomegranates? Does anyone around here grow them - even in containers? I
saw one in full fruit in Albuquerque once, so it seems as if it would be do-able
here....

- Susan

I have one, but it has never born a flower, much less fruit. It is
more like a bush, with no main stem. Sometimes it dies back over the
winter, sending up new stems in spring, and sometimes the stems
overwinter okay and sprout new leaves. It is wimpy and needs to be
staked. The stems never grow taller than 2 or 3 feet. Big
disappointment. I was really looking forward to some orange flowers
on it.
Kira

Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Pat Brothers

Kiwi vines take a long time to mature- at least 7 years - and need a
male and female, although the Issai is self fertile. They want some
shade and plenty of moisture. Certain cultivars of pomegranates are
hardy here, but none of the nursery stock I have tried have done well.
Am currently nursing along seedlings from a fruit taken from a plant
known to be hardy here. If you are just interested in the flowers, which
are gorgeous, grow a miniature one as plant in a pot. Bring it in in the
winter.

wrote:

And... pomegranates? Does anyone around here grow them - even in containers? I
saw one in full fruit in Albuquerque once, so it seems as if it would be do-able
here....

- Susan

I have one, but it has never born a flower, much less fruit. It is
more like a bush, with no main stem. Sometimes it dies back over the
winter, sending up new stems in spring, and sometimes the stems
overwinter okay and sprout new leaves. It is wimpy and needs to be
staked. The stems never grow taller than 2 or 3 feet. Big
disappointment. I was really looking forward to some orange flowers
on it.
Kira

Pat Brothers
The Powell House
Wake Forest, NC Zone 7b
The Perennials Lady at Atlantic Avenue Orchids and Garden Center

Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Anthony Cottle

I have grown pomegranate for more than a decade and always have lots of
flowers but never any fruit. When I lived near Zebulon there were sometimes
some for sale at the downtown hardware store (Debnam's?) that were grown by
someone locally. It was in late fall if memory serves me well. I have been
told that there are male and female plants but Dirr makes no mention of this
in his Manual of Woody Landscape Plants. Perhaps mine is not producing
fruit because I have only a male or female. There is one growing in
someone's garden on Boylan Avenue, two or or three blocks north of
Hillsborough Street that is magnificent every summer.

Tony