Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Maryanne

Default Advice on growing roses without pesticides

Hello there - I am an interested follower of this newsgroup and would like
to ask for advice.

We have just over 4000 sq metres of garden, about half lawn, the rest
various degrees of waterwise planting. There are two areas with good water
available (irrigated) and good sunlight that are very suited to roses. I
would really love to grow roses but am awed by the propenstiy of little
greeblies for eating the leaves into lacework in a minimial amount of time
as well as black spot, yellow leaves etc. We have about 40 species of bird
either living or pasing through the property as well as our own pets and I
would dearly love to have the knowledge to grow beautiful roses without
pesticides.

can anybody give me advice? - We are in Johannesburg South Africa - summer
rainfall area, hot summers and very cold and dry winters

Many thanks
Maryanne

Old 01-05-2003, 05:34 PM
ncstockguy

Hi,
Rosea are hard to grow without some chemical intervention, at least
the hybrids are. I have read that alliums, such as garlic and onions
planted near roses repel some insects and may reduce the black spot
fungus as well. I have planted some garlic next to mine, but its too
early to tell, whether it makes any difference.
Often black spot won't kill the roses, if they are in a good sunny
location, but it sure wreaks havoc with their appearance.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
curtis brothers

Just depends on the rose - some are more resistant than others. Of
hybrid teas, I find the orange ones in general are better than other
colors - Rio Samba is the best I have come across. See what your
neighbors are growing. Give your roses plenty of room for air
circulation and rake out and dispose of leaves and mulch under your
plants at least twice a year. Many disease spores overwinter in the
debris under your shrubs. Do not water overhead, wetting the leaves.
Keep your roses mulched amd evenly watered and fertilized. Good luck