Old 01-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Gena

Default wood ash for gardening

we heat with a high efficiency catalytic woodstove and subsequently get wood
ash as a result. it can be used on gardens and lawns as fertilizer, but you
must read up on it first. basically it can be used like lime, to reduce
acidity, and add some nutrients to the soil like fertilizer. you should ph
test first so you know if you even need it.

i will have more than i need this year and will gladly give some to someone
else who would like to use it. we only use seasoned hardwoods in our stove,
which gives the best available nutrient profile (and it is considered an
organic ammendment), so i'd rather not just take it to the dump when someone
else might benefit from it.

read these links beforehand, so you'll know if it's something you could use:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/woodash.html
http://www.klis.com/fundy/ecg/woodash4-3.htm
http://ceinfo.unh.edu/counties/hillsborough/woodash.htm

email me if you'd like to get it. i will store it in a galvanized garbage
can until spring (clean, new from home depot) and when you come to pick it
up, just bring me a new can to replace it.

gena

Old 01-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Gena

"Gena" wrote

i will have more than i need this year and will gladly give some to

someone
else who would like to use it.

i have a person to take it and and extra person in case i have more than i
anticipate, thanks for the responses!

gena