Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Raleighgirl

Default quiz question

Hiya.
I know there are three deciduous conifers that grow in NC. Two of them are
the bald cypress and gingko. What's the third?
Thanks,
Jeny

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Daniel B. Martin

What's the third?

Perhaps it is Dawn Redwood.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...ew/metasequio_
glypto.html

Daniel B. Martin

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Will Cook

Raleighgirl wrote:
Hiya.
I know there are three deciduous conifers that grow in NC. Two of them are
the bald cypress and gingko. What's the third?
Thanks,
Jeny

There are two species of deciduous confiers native to North Carolina --
Baldcypress (Taxodium distichum) and Pondcypress (Taxodium ascendens).
Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba) and Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides)
are the two commonly planted. There's also Golden Larch (Pseudolarix
amabilis) and I bet a few true larches (Larix spp.) are grown around
here, too. Perhaps also Glyptostrobus pensilis, the Chinese deciduous
cypress.