Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM

Default free seeds, and a tomato question

I no longer have any use for these seeds in case anyone else wants them:

sweet pea winter flowering mix
Mexican coriander
orange pixie hybrid tomato
giant pink belgium tomato
lemon basil
cinnamon basil
tarragon (Artemisia Redowski)
lavender

Only the sweet pea packet has never been opened. I assume all the seeds
are still viable, but hey, they're free, so there's no concern about
getting screwed.

As for the tomato question, just wondering if anyone knows of a seed
company where I can get yellow (or any non-red) plum tomato. Actually, any
tomato suitable for a sauce would work, so long as it's not red. The
birds seem to attack any red fruit that I grow.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Anne Lurie

I just got the Burpee catalog, and it shows Big Rainbow in its Classic Giant
tomato section. Judging from the picture, this yellow tomato is not exactly
gorgeous, as it's deeply lobed(?) rather than nice & round; however, the
slice looks to have a lot of meat compared to seeds.

Burpee's website: http://www.burpee.com

Also, Seeds of Change offers the San Marzano paste tomato, which looks
orange. http://www.seedsofchange.com

Good Luck!

Maybe you should think in terms of growing the tomato varieties you want,
and covering them all with netting or some such? (Easy for me to suggest,
as I've never had all that much problem with birds going after my
omatoes -- this past summer being the sad exception, when all the critters
seemed to be eager for water and/or sustenance.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Tomatolord

just hang a few christmas ornaments or hang some red balls around it
confuses the birds and they stop pecking the tomotos

also

provide some water like a bird bath or something nearby for the birds to
drink from

tlord

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM

I've tried the red ornament thing with limited success. The funny thing
is that the ornaments I bought were a foam core with red wax on the
outside (mini apple ornaments, $0.50 specials from the dollar store). The
stupid things melted in the summer sun. I did see a few peck marks, but
the birds quickly learned to ignore these mottled foam decoys and
aggravate me by pecking at the other tomatoes.

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Tomatolord wrote:
just hang a few christmas ornaments or hang some red balls around it
confuses the birds and they stop pecking the tomotos

also

provide some water like a bird bath or something nearby for the birds to
drink from

tlord
[STUFF SNIPPED]

Free tomato seeds mogga United Kingdom 1 03-04-2012 08:02 PM
Find SEEDS of flowers, trees, and plants and Get Free Pictures ofNature. gs[_2_] United Kingdom 0 18-01-2009 03:31 AM
Find SEEDS of flowers, trees, and plants and Get Free Pictures ofNature. gs[_2_] United Kingdom 0 17-01-2009 03:57 PM
Free Website, Free Domain, Free Installation, Free Scripts hostnomi United Kingdom 0 25-03-2008 08:11 AM
Seeds, Seeds, Seeds Kimberly Edible Gardening 8 03-01-2007 05:37 PM