Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
John

Default Shotgun Mold???

I recently had the exterior of my house cleaned...and the guy who did
the work pointed out small black dots (the size of a pencil dot and a
bit bigger). The dots were on the house...on the windows...and on one
of my cars (which parks near the effected area). They do not spray
off with a hose...you have to actually lightly scrape them to remove
them.

The guy told me they were "Shotgun Mold" and that they existed in
areas where the pH was off. I looked it up on the net and saw that it
is also called "Artillery Fungus" or "Artillery Mold"...and that there
really isn't much you can do about it other than keep your mulch dry,
replace it regularly...or get rid of it altogether (which isn't really
an option).

Other than using hot water and high pressure (which i DO NOT want to
do)...or scraping it off (which is going to take paint with it)...is
there anything else anybody can recommend? Any suggestions about
preventing future outbreaks? Any anti-fungul applications that would
work?
Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Tom Gauldin

Consider first spraying your house with a diluted Clorox solution, then
pressure washing. Repeat twice a year.

Cautionary note: If you have polished brass lights or door hardware, rinse
them off immediately. The Clorox will attack the finish and permit them to
tarnish.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

om...

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
John

What about the plants/shrubs that are around the house? Will the
Clorox not harm them or do I use such a weak dilution that it will be
ok?

"Tom Gauldin" wrote in message . ..
Consider first spraying your house with a diluted Clorox solution, then
pressure washing. Repeat twice a year.

Cautionary note: If you have polished brass lights or door hardware, rinse
them off immediately. The Clorox will attack the finish and permit them to
tarnish.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL
NEW PHONE (702) 263-8804 voice/fax

om...

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Tom Gauldin

It has never seemed to harm my stuff, however I DO spray the greenery with
water after spraying the house with the Clorox, however. If you have a lot
of concern, consider using a disposable drop cloth to cover the shrubs.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL
NEW PHONE (702) 263-8804 voice/fax

"John" wrote in message
om...
What about the plants/shrubs that are around the house? Will the
Clorox not harm them or do I use such a weak dilution that it will be
ok?

"Tom Gauldin" wrote in message

. ..
Consider first spraying your house with a diluted Clorox solution, then
pressure washing. Repeat twice a year.

Cautionary note: If you have polished brass lights or door hardware,

rinse
them off immediately. The Clorox will attack the finish and permit them

tarnish.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

NEW PHONE (702) 263-8804 voice/fax

om...

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
D C Antonelli

I use the Ortho tree and shrub sprayette unit to apply the bleach. I
just fill the container with bleach and hook the hose up and spray. It
gives a very good mix and then I wash off with water after it sets about
10 minutes.

The mixture will also leave a film on windows so you must figure on
cleaning them soon after your bleach application. Tom is right about the
mixture attacking the brass. It will polish up but it is a big job.

I've never had any problems with plants and flowers because of the
spray. I suspect it may be good for them as it is rich with the same
elements as fertilizer.

Doug Antonelli
Raleigh

In article ,
says...
It has never seemed to harm my stuff, however I DO spray the greenery with
water after spraying the house with the Clorox, however. If you have a lot
of concern, consider using a disposable drop cloth to cover the shrubs.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

NEW PHONE (702) 263-8804 voice/fax

"John" wrote in message
om...
What about the plants/shrubs that are around the house? Will the
Clorox not harm them or do I use such a weak dilution that it will be
ok?

"Tom Gauldin" wrote in message

. ..
Consider first spraying your house with a diluted Clorox solution, then
pressure washing. Repeat twice a year.

Cautionary note: If you have polished brass lights or door hardware,

rinse
them off immediately. The Clorox will attack the finish and permit them

tarnish.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

NEW PHONE (702) 263-8804 voice/fax

"John" wrote in message
om...
I recently had the exterior of my house cleaned...and the guy who did
the work pointed out small black dots (the size of a pencil dot and a
bit bigger). The dots were on the house...on the windows...and on one
of my cars (which parks near the effected area). They do not spray
off with a hose...you have to actually lightly scrape them to remove
them.

The guy told me they were "Shotgun Mold" and that they existed in
areas where the pH was off. I looked it up on the net and saw that it
is also called "Artillery Fungus" or "Artillery Mold"...and that there
really isn't much you can do about it other than keep your mulch dry,
replace it regularly...or get rid of it altogether (which isn't really
an option).

Other than using hot water and high pressure (which i DO NOT want to

Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
[IBC] Mold on Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 12-03-2003 11:44 AM
Mold on Blake & Jennifer Bonsai 0 12-03-2003 04:10 AM
[IBC] Mold or Fungus Ben Griffin Bonsai 0 08-03-2003 07:21 PM
leaf mold and compost mmarteen Gardening 9 07-02-2003 04:27 PM