Old 01-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Kira Dirlik

Default Territorial mockingbird hogging feeder

I have a thistle feeder (and see only crowds of goldfinches that clean
it out in a day or two), and two larger feeders where I put in a
combination of seeds from four or five bags of different seed mixes.
I have a suet basket hanging from one of the feeders. These are all
outside my windows, hanging from the eaves. (I fill them by getting a
chair and opening the windows from the top.) I can stand right by
the window and they don't seem to be bothered by me, if I don't make
sudden moves. No squirrel problems.
I have never seen a mockingbird near my house (closest was 3 miles
away, at the closest gas station). I'm in deep woods. I get a downy
woodpecker at the suet basket, but he prefers to just pop up to the
feeder. I've also seen a wren pick at it, and a few chicadees. In
the feeders I mostly get titmice (mouses?) and chicadees. Several
species of sparrow. A red-belllied woodpecker that landed a few times
but flew away.... I think he feels too big to be there. One female
cardinal (the male eats what others drop to the ground). Juncos have
just recently decided to leave the ground and try the feeder.
Last year I had an indigo bunting stop by a few times, but have not
seen him this year. So gorgeous!
Kira
Old 01-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Daniel B. Martin

May I ask the name of the non-scented laundry detergent and
where you can buy it? I have looked and looked and they ALL
seem to have some chemical crap in them that I am allergic to
(like virtually ALL perfumes on the market today).

The wording of your post contains an amusing coincidence. You used the
word ALL twice.

The non-scented laundry detergent I use is ALL Free Clear. ALL liquid
detergent is available in several formulations. Be sure to choose the
white jug marked "Free Clear." The label boasts "#1 Dermatologist
Recommended."

ALL is made by Lever Brothers and is available at most supermarkets. I
bought it recently at Eckerd Drug when they had it on sale.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 01-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Kira Dirlik

On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 20:10:07 GMT, "Daniel B. Martin"
wrote:

May I ask the name of the non-scented laundry detergent and
where you can buy it? I have looked and looked and they ALL
seem to have some chemical crap in them that I am allergic to
(like virtually ALL perfumes on the market today).

The wording of your post contains an amusing coincidence. You used the
word ALL twice.

The non-scented laundry detergent I use is ALL Free Clear. ALL liquid
detergent is available in several formulations. Be sure to choose the
white jug marked "Free Clear." The label boasts "#1 Dermatologist
Recommended."

ALL is made by Lever Brothers and is available at most supermarkets. I
bought it recently at Eckerd Drug when they had it on sale.

Thanks! I'll look for it. That was a funny coincidence... and in
caps, too.
Kira

Daniel B. Martin

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Robert Goodman

In the 1990s there was a mockingbird here who was in love with the cat
next door. She paid him no attention, which bothered him no end.
When she faced in his direction, he'd screech at her, and when she
turned away he'd swoop in and fly within inches before breaking off,
fanning the cat to get her to turn around. That mockie wouldn't sing
anything interesting until some time in the wee hours, when he'd belt
out Berlioz or something like that and wake us up. Daytime he'd just
screech. Screechy Cat Mocker eventually found a lady bird he liked
named Chip; at least, that's what she said her name was when I asked.

My friend Nadine had near her bldg. Tweedle-Dee Clock Mocker, who
imitated her electronic clock alarm.

Robert in the Bronx
Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM

In article , Robert Goodman wrote:
In the 1990s there was a mockingbird here who was in love with the cat
next door. She paid him no attention, which bothered him no end.
When she faced in his direction, he'd screech at her, and when she
turned away he'd swoop in and fly within inches before breaking off,
fanning the cat to get her to turn around. That mockie wouldn't sing
anything interesting until some time in the wee hours, when he'd belt
out Berlioz or something like that and wake us up. Daytime he'd just
screech. Screechy Cat Mocker eventually found a lady bird he liked
named Chip; at least, that's what she said her name was when I asked.

My friend Nadine had near her bldg. Tweedle-Dee Clock Mocker, who
imitated her electronic clock alarm.

I now have one feeder in front of the house, one on the back patio and
one near the other back corner of the house. I don't think he can cover
all these, though he did attempt to cover the one in front when it was
just on the driveway. I may put a fourth one farther back near the
garden. He does not bother smaller birds like wrens too much, but does
bug thee larger birds such a cardinals and jays.

Robert in the Bronx

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
J. Fleming

No, no, no. Pony hair and goat undercoat. The birds go crazy for it when I
put it on the garden fence after brushing my critters out. :-) They even
seem to like dog hair too!

bye fo rnow,

Judi

"Daniel B. Martin" wrote:

... with cat fur, twigs, and long grassy type weeds.

Cotton lint from your clothes dryer filter might be preferable to cat fur.

Daniel B. Martin

Ooooops - Hogging it! Data Lawns 0 07-05-2007 11:31 AM
Mockingbird nest Elliot Richmond Texas 17 13-04-2005 09:02 AM
Brush hogging with the Old Sears Srgnt Bilko Lawns 0 14-08-2004 09:47 PM
non-scented stuff, was Territorial mockingbird hogging feeder Anne Lurie North Carolina 1 01-05-2003 06:46 PM
Territorial mockingbird hogging feeder Daniel B. Martin North Carolina 3 19-02-2003 03:14 PM