Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
David F.

Default White Pines in Fuquay?

Hi Everyone,

I want to plant several rows of pine trees as a screen on my property
(around 50-75 trees). I like the appearance of White pines, but I'm afraid
that they will not do as well as Loblolly pines in this area of the country?

Any suggestion or recommendations?

Thanks,

David

Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
C G

"David F." wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I want to plant several rows of pine trees as a screen on my property
(around 50-75 trees). I like the appearance of White pines, but I'm afraid
that they will not do as well as Loblolly pines in this area of the country?

Any suggestion or recommendations?

Thanks,

David

Personally, I would consider something else. Pines will grow quickly
and get out of control. Consider a mixture of the many different types
of evergreens which grow in this area. You can even throw in some that
flower to add extra visual appeal.

Landscape Plants of the Southeast by Gordon Halfacre is a wonderful book
to use to select some varieties. Should be able to find in the library.

Chuck
Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Anne Lurie

David, I don't think you want pines of any sort if you are looking to screen
your property. If you'll take a look around, you might notice that pines
seem to lose their lower branches while growing rather tall (and brittle).

Leyland Cypress seems to be used quite a bit in this area, but they get bent
over by adverse weather (at least mine do).

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh