Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
mhill

Default avacado pit

i bought an avocado and put the pit in water. i want it to grow. are there
any suggestions. it is forming roots in the water and held up by
toothpicks.should i have soaked the pit. seems to be taking a long time do
grow. two weeks so far

--
not original but have a nice day
mmh

Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Anne Lurie

Avocado pits need patience.......lots of patience! (Not that I ever had
enough to find out what happens with them!)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Brent Harsh

"mhill" wrote in message

i bought an avocado and put the pit in water. i want it to grow. are there
any suggestions. it is forming roots in the water and held up by
toothpicks.should i have soaked the pit. seems to be taking a long time do
grow. two weeks so far

A friend of mine dumped 3 into the bottom of a pot, filled it with dirt and
acorns from last fall around the rim - he now has 3 nice avocado trees and
quite a few tiny little oaks appearing everywhere in there. Looks pretty
neat - the avocados are about 2 feet tall now, oaks are about 6 inches.

Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Kira Dirlik

I never met an avocado pit that didn't grow. And the seeds are so
gorgeous, I find I cannot part with them (but don't buy many
avocados). But one grew in the middle of my compost heap til the ice
storm got it.
I've always started them as you noted: 3 toothpicks to hold up the
seed in a small jar with water level half way up the seed. The roots
appear first.
Kira

Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
ncstockguy

We planted one in a small pot of soil and kept it slightly moist.
Weeks later, up popped the Avocado tree. Have now moved it into
larger pots three times and the tree is 7 feet tall. I doubt we'll
ever get avocados off it, but wouldn't that be fun?

Avacado Tree Rachel Edible Gardening 5 31-10-2004 07:15 AM
Avacado Tree Drooping Rachel Gardening 1 25-10-2004 12:56 AM
Avacado's Janine Smith Permaculture 4 05-05-2003 01:08 PM
Avacado's Janine Smith Permaculture 8 26-02-2003 12:46 PM
avacado pit ncstockguy North Carolina 0 18-02-2003 02:04 AM