Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Elizabeth

Default How to remove rust from garden tools?

Hi,

Does anyone know how to remove a coating of rust from garden tools? I don't
think they are totally ruined and would like to clean them, if possible.

BTW, there sure is a lot of spam on this newsgroup now. Wish there was some
way to remove/prevent it.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Patskywriter

get a jar of naval jelly from the hardware store and a cheap paintbrush. paint
a coating of the stuff on the garden tool and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
then, rinse it off and rub the garden tool dry with a soft cloth or paper
towel. THEN, rub on some WD-40. work on one tool at a time. works like a charm!
the garden tools will look almost brand-new!

pat
Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Elizabeth

Thanks! I am eager to try it. Why do they call it "naval jelly"? Is it used
for marine applications? Thanks again for replying.

Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Penny Morgan

My parents were antique dealers and when we bought old copper kettles full
of rust and tarnish, we would use a bowl filled with distilled white vinegar
and table salt (it was probably 1/2 cup of salt- seemed like a lot). We
used a fine piece of steel wool and rubbed the kettles with this mixture.
It ate right through and out came a glowing copper kettle. You could give
it a shot and see if it works.

I also remember kids in our neighborhood showing off by pouring Coca Cola on
rusty hubs from car tires and watching it eat away at it. If all else
fails, try that remedy. Imagine what Coke must do to your stomach lining.
Ouch.

Good luck.

Penny
news

Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Cricket

I like to use a box of sand mixed with a little vegetable oil kept in the
corner of my shed. I take the head of the tool and push it into the sand a
few times till the tool is clean and a little oily.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket