Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Elizabeth

Default Training/pruning young trees?

Hi all,

I'm starting my backyard from scratch. Last fall, I cleared the whole
overgrown thing out, except for a few mature oaks and maples that were
already on the edges, and planted a very small round area of grass near the
house. My plan is to create woodsy areas around the perimeter. I saved a
couple small maple trees, a small cedar, and a swamp chestnut. All are 3'-5'
tall. I will also be getting some baby redbuds and dogwoods soon.

The question is, I've noticed some of these small trees have multiple
leaders, some of which fork rather low. Is it a good idea to gradually
reduce to one straight leader so I eventually end up with a single strong
trunk? What if the straight leader is the smaller of two? And does anyone
have any tips or past experience doing this?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
David

Hi Elizabeth,

I have a little expertise in this area. Just from your question, I
think you have a good handle on the situation are are not likely to go
far wrong if you just follow your own insticts. I would basically
leave the trees alone and let them develop as multi-trunks. I think
that a multi-trunked tree is almost always more interesting in the
landscape. They look more natural (because they are!) and graceful
and that more than makes up for any slightly increased structural
weakness that may show up down the road. When trees fork down near
the ground the trunk seems to flare out more, growing the support it
requires.

The cedar may be an exception to this. As an evergreen, it may perform
better in snow and ice with a single leader. If your new redbuds and
dogwoods start to develop multiple trunks, count yourself as lucky.
They will far more striking in bloom that way.

As the trees develop year to year, it will be a good idea to thin out
interior branches that are crossing over towards the other trunks.
Just a branch or two now and then. For the dogwoods and redbuds, you
might do this just as the flower buds start to open, so that you can
bring the branches you remove inside to enjoy.

David