Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Elizabeth

Default Fragrant roses?

Hi all,

Two years ago, after visiting the Duke Gardens when the roses were in full
splendor, I decided I had to try roses. I chose a hybrid tea (Touch of
Class) and a grandiflora (Fame!). Miraculously, they have done really well
with not much care. The only disappointment is that these two varieties
don't have much fragrance.

This year, I just bought 3 more to add to my front yard, all hybrid teas:
Tropicana, First Prize, and Peace. I seem to remember my parents' Peace rose
being fragrant, but the package doesn't seem to corroborate that. Anyone
have any of these 3 varieties, and are they fragrant?

The Japanese beetles didn't bother my two existing bushes, so maybe I should
be happy if the new ones aren't very fragrant!

Elizabeth

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Tim Rowles

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 18:43:07 GMT, "Elizabeth"
wrote:

Hi all,

Two years ago, after visiting the Duke Gardens when the roses were in full
splendor, I decided I had to try roses. I chose a hybrid tea (Touch of
Class) and a grandiflora (Fame!). Miraculously, they have done really well
with not much care. The only disappointment is that these two varieties
don't have much fragrance.

This year, I just bought 3 more to add to my front yard, all hybrid teas:
Tropicana, First Prize, and Peace. I seem to remember my parents' Peace rose
being fragrant, but the package doesn't seem to corroborate that. Anyone
have any of these 3 varieties, and are they fragrant?

Tropicana and Peace are fragrant. First Prize less so.
Growing conditions can affect the degree of fragrance.

There's an AARS prize given for fragrance, so if you want some of
the most fragrant roses, here is the list of some of the Gamble
prize winners (those with an AARS rating 6):

Chrysler Imperial
Crimson Glory
Crimson Glory, Climbing
Double Delight
Double Delight, Climbing
Fragrant Cloud
Granada
Papa Meilland
Sunsprite
Tiffany

Mr. Lincoln never won the Gamble but is also widely
grown for its exceptional fragrance.

Of the varieties mentioned above, I've personal
experience with Mr. Lincoln, Double Delight,
Peace and Tropicana. I do believe you're
right that the more fragrant ones attract more
attention from the beetles. But the only rose I've
grown that was of little interest
at all to the beetles is the Lady Banks.

HTH.

-- Tim

--
Tim Rowles trowles at rtmx dot net
Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Anne Lurie

Abraham Darby!

I found the following website when I googled (what else?!) for "Abraham
Darby"
http://members.aol.com/elbewley/abedarb.htm
The website describes the fragrance as "powerful" -- and I'll second that!
I planted one this spring, and I was a bit puzzled when I was watering
plants last summer (endlessly, it seems!) when I smelled a wonderful spicy
aroma that I tracked down to Abraham Darby -- 10-12 feet away from me!

I'll second Tim's (another post) suggestion for Double Delight -- its
fragrance is great. And to this foodlover, it looks like vanilla ice cream
with a little raspberry sherbet on the edges! (Sorry, I must have thought I
was in triangle.dining, not triangle.gardens.......)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

hlink.net...

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Diane

I'll third ( or is this fourth?) Double Delight.

Angel Face is nicely fragrant if you like lavender roses.

Diane