Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Arwen Long

Default lilacs & flowering bushy things

Do lilacs grow well down here or does the heat make them unhappy during
the summer? What other similarly sized flowering things (or non-flowering,
for variety) grow well?
tx
Arwen
Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
C G

Arwen Long wrote:

Do lilacs grow well down here or does the heat make them unhappy during
the summer? What other similarly sized flowering things (or non-flowering,
for variety) grow well?
tx
Arwen

They do not grow well. There are some at the NC State Arboretum which
seem to do well, but most do not. Crepe myrtles grow well and look
pretty, but they do not have the same fragrance. I'll give you the same
advice as I've given several others, go to the library or book store and
get a copy of the book "Landscape Plants of the Southeast" by Gordon
Halfacre. It will give you lots of choices.

Chuck
Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Penny Morgan

If you want summer flowering trees, the closest you'll get are probably
Crepe Myrtles. They come in a variety of colors; white, red (dark pink),
pink and lavender. Lilacs do not prosper in this area; at least not the
ones we're used to having up north. I had 4 huge bushes in my yard that
were in full bloom around Memorial Day every year. The reason I remember so
well was because I filled vases throughout my house when I put it on the
market and used signs with red,white and blue balloons to direct people to
our open house. When the first person walked in, she was so impressed by
the smell of the lilacs and commented how much she loved them, she ended up
buying my house. This was my first open house. I can't say that's the only
reason it sold, but it sure helped.

There are many other shrubs and trees that will bloom in the spring with
flowers (with and without fragrance) that do well here. Your best bet is to
check out a local nursery (not Home Depot or Lowes) and ask a nursery person
to show you some trees that bloom and what time of year they bloom. You can
also contact the Master Gardener program. Look in Saturday's paper (N&O)
and find the section with all the local garden shops and you'll find lots of
places to contact with questions. Also look up our local Cooperative
Extension and ask them. They are a wealth of information on what does well
in this area.

Good luck.

Penny
pub.duke.edu...

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Diane

The Korean Lilac "Miss Kim" will bloom here, as it has for me the past three
years. It is available locally. I've also got a "Blue Skies" which I
purchased here. It has not bloomed for me, but I planted it in an "iffy"
shady location, so will move it this spring. It is reputed to bloom here
also. Check with a local nursery,they may know of other varieties.

The advice from the other posters is also excellent. There is an abundance
of wonderful flowering shrubs to grow here, which is one reason I moved
here.

Diane

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Hannah Barnum

Happy lilacs seem to be rare around here, but I have a 75 year old lilac on
the south-east side of my house. It is bushy and blooms, but looks like it
could have been better cared for during the 74 years before I met it.
good luck,
Hannah

pub.duke.edu...