Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Robert Gray

Default Transplanting Azaleas

I am in the process of mulching the back bed, and have convinced myself that
the 5 azaleas in that bed will look better if grouped together in a corner.
They range in size from 2-3' high and 1-2' wide. It is not something that I
need to do immediately, so I am asking when will be the best time to move
them.

The ground is nice and wet right now, so pulling the saplings out has been
realatively easy. Some of these have root systems more than 1 foot deep!.
They had been cut down at the soil line several times, but just kept growing
back. I'd like to see them try that without any roots! Of course, new ones
will try, but the mulch should keep them out. I am also moving liriope,
since it has invaded some of my hosta beds. The hostas are still resting,
but they will soon emerge from a fesh cover of mulch. Can't wait till
spring...

We did move a half dozen azaleas in the front yard last October. I amended
the soil with plenty of horse manure the year before, and the fall rains
have given them plenty of water. So, they are doing fairly well - although I
am not sure if they will bloom this year or not. Should I wait until Fall
again for the other ones? Or is it possible to cut them back after blooming
and move them then. Say, around the end of April...

Thanks,
Robert

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
C G

Robert Gray wrote:

I am in the process of mulching the back bed, and have convinced myself that
the 5 azaleas in that bed will look better if grouped together in a corner.
They range in size from 2-3' high and 1-2' wide. It is not something that I
need to do immediately, so I am asking when will be the best time to move
them.

Fall

The ground is nice and wet right now, so pulling the saplings out has been
realatively easy. Some of these have root systems more than 1 foot deep!.
They had been cut down at the soil line several times, but just kept growing
back. I'd like to see them try that without any roots! Of course, new ones
will try, but the mulch should keep them out. I am also moving liriope,
since it has invaded some of my hosta beds. The hostas are still resting,
but they will soon emerge from a fesh cover of mulch. Can't wait till
spring...

We did move a half dozen azaleas in the front yard last October.

Good timing.

I amended
the soil with plenty of horse manure the year before, and the fall rains
have given them plenty of water. So, they are doing fairly well - although I
am not sure if they will bloom this year or not. Should I wait until Fall
again for the other ones?

Yes, wait. Why argue with success? Remember how hot and dry it was
last summer? Remember how rainy it's been this winter? Azaleas have
shallow root systems. Transplant them now and you are facing a summer
of watering to help them survive.

Or is it possible to cut them back after blooming
and move them then. Say, around the end of April...

If you insist on transplanting them in the spring, earlier is better
than later.

Chuck
Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Robert Gray

Ok, Waiting till fall.

How much should I cut them back after they bloom?

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Anne Lurie

Robert,

I personally prefer to prune azaleas as lightly as possible, and let them
keep their natural shapes. The only thing I recommend pruning before
azaleas flower is winter "dieback." After azaleas flower, I'll prune back
any stems that are overly-long and look odd on the plant. I suggest that
you check out the Plant Amnesty website: http://www.plantamnesty.org/ where
I learned about pruning a stem back to a "natural" juncture rather than just
snipping it off in the middle of the stem.

The only exceptions to the above are 2 huge monsters that can put out more
than 3' of new growth in a year with decent rainfall! (I had no idea that
azaleas could be so big!) These 2 were planted too close to each other
*and* to close to my house, so I trim them back severely every couple of
years so that I can at least have 2 separate bushes, rather than one big
mass with some white flowers and some that are "shocking purple" (sorry, I
have no idea what the color or variety really is, but it's an almost
neon-bright flower).

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

. com...