Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Elizabeth

Default Favorite perennial vines?

Any thoughts? Don't particularly care for clematis but would like something
that has bright flowers that can be seen from a distance. Evergreen is a
plus. Anyone know trumpet vine or Confederate jasmine? What conditions do
they like?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Emily

I love morning glories, though they aren't evergreen. So many different
colors of flowers available, very tolerant of different soil types... I
grow mine in part-sun, and they do fine (except when the deer eat them!)

Good luck,
Emily

hlink.net...

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Emily

Sorry, I guess morning glories aren't perennial, but they are so easy to
grow - I just put the big seeds directly in the ground in the spring, water
'em in, and they all sprout and grow quickly!

Emily

hlink.net...

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Baine Carruthers

I like akebia and some of the long flowering honeysuckles. They are
semi-evergreen unless we get the kind of winter we had this year. Carolina
jasmine does well and is evergreen.

--
Baine

hlink.net...

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Daniel B. Martin

Any thoughts?

I have Pueraria Lobata in my back yard. Large bright green leaves,
fragrant purple flowers. Not much troubled by disease or insects.
Drought tolerant. Grows well in full sun.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Baine Carruthers

Might as well be called perennial. My wife loves them. I of course
recognize them as the noxious weed they are!

Note on annuals. Last year we planted cardinal vine. It was covered in red
flowers and the hummers really took to it. I have pics I could post on a
website if anyone is interested.

--
Baine

"Emily" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Sorry, I guess morning glories aren't perennial, but they are so easy to
grow - I just put the big seeds directly in the ground in the spring,

water
'em in, and they all sprout and grow quickly!

Emily

hlink.net...

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Daniel B. Martin

kudzu?

Some call it Porch Vine.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Baine Carruthers

If you are willing to train and prune, there are few comparisons on
fragrance and beauty.

--
Baine

. ..

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Will Cook

Elizabeth wrote:
Any thoughts? Don't particularly care for clematis but would like something
that has bright flowers that can be seen from a distance. Evergreen is a
plus. Anyone know trumpet vine or Confederate jasmine? What conditions do
they like?

Carolina Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens) is an outstanding evergreen
vine - covered with bright yellow fragrant flowers in early spring.

Trumpet Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) is somewhat evergreen and
has brilliant red tube-shaped flowers that attract hummingbirds. A
yellow variety is also available. No fragrance.

Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata) is another nice evergreen with
hummingbird-attracting flowers that range from orange to yellow,
depending on variety.

Trumpet Creeper (Campsis radicans) is deciduous, but great if you have
an area you want to naturalize (and don't mind the vine taking over).

Confederate Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) is evergreen and
normally survives here, with small fragrant flowers.

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Gene Hubert

Any ideas where I can get seeds or plants for crossvine. Can't seem
to find any locally or on the Internet either.

Thanks,
Gene Hubert
Durham

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Susan H. Simko

Gene Hubert wrote:
Any ideas where I can get seeds or plants for crossvine. Can't seem
to find any locally or on the Internet either.

http://www.waysidegardens.com/

has Crossvine Tangerine Beauty and is in my experience a reputable place
to deal with. (Go to their site and enter crossvine in the search box
on the left.)

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Pat Brothers

also know as Bignonia capreolata 'Tangerine Beauty.' All you local
nurseries should carry it at some time or another, and at a price much
less than from Wayside. It is vigorous and mostly evergreen, or rather
purple; the foliage takes on a purple tinge in winter.

Gene Hubert wrote:

Any ideas where I can get seeds or plants for crossvine. Can't seem
to find any locally or on the Internet either.

http://www.waysidegardens.com/

has Crossvine Tangerine Beauty and is in my experience a reputable place
to deal with. (Go to their site and enter crossvine in the search box
on the left.)

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Pat Brothers
The Powell House
Wake Forest
and the Perennials Lady at Atlantic Avenue Orchid and Garden Center

my favorite pond website K30a Ponds 1 02-04-2003 11:20 PM
Favorite Magazine [email protected] Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 01:44 PM
Favorite Plants?? LeeAnne Gardening 34 17-03-2003 12:56 PM
Favorite perennial vines? Elizabeth North Carolina 13 08-03-2003 03:08 AM
UT Roland's Favorite Soil Amendment Theory was, More Better Blooms Shiva Roses 14 08-02-2003 05:14 AM