Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Kelly Garner

Default Establishing new lawn (shade)

Greetings,

I am interested in establishing a new lawn (or groundcover) in a front yard in Chapel Hill.
The yard is mostly shaded by a huge oak tree and a huge holly tree. I was reading about St
Augustine grass and how it is very wel suited for shady areas, but don't necessarily want
the maintenance that "grass" grass will bring. Does anyone have suggestions to proffer, pro
or con, about lawns in shade vs. groundcover? And what kind, etc?

Thanks
KJ
--
---
"One more drink, and I'll be belligerent!"
Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Tomatolord

they only thing that will grow under a large oak is rocks....

That said...grass is not going to grow - you can get it started but it will
die in the summer.

Spreading or clumping liriope would be a good choice

GL
Tomatolord

Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
MAC

There are very few types of grass that will grow in the shade of an oak
tree. I've had very good success with Persian ivy, however. It made it
through the winter with style, and is now putting out new shoots.
Doesn't climb trees, and has very handsome dark green foliage.

MAC

Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Kelly Garner

In article ,
MAC wrote:
There are very few types of grass that will grow in the shade of an oak
tree. I've had very good success with Persian ivy, however. It made it
through the winter with style, and is now putting out new shoots.
Doesn't climb trees, and has very handsome dark green foliage.

I should mention that my other criteria is little to no heavy maintenance (aside from raking
as needed, mowing, etc). I'm hesitant about ivy because my experience with ivies has been -
spread, take over, spread, invade!! But Persian ivy, can you tell me a little more? can it
also be walked on w/o dying?

This yard is a front yard that does not get much foot traffic but is slated to have some
other beds put in, etc.

Cheers
KJ
--
---
Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
MAC

I'm hesitant about ivy because my experience with ivies has been -
spread, take over, spread, invade!! But Persian ivy, can you tell me a little more? can it
also be walked on w/o dying?

This will be the second year for the Persian ivy in my side yard, and so
far it has spread very slowly. Rather than walk on it, I've put down
patio stones between the plants. Don't know if it would take foot
traffic or not.

MAC