Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Tom Gauldin

Default Tuberoses

As our bulbs are coming up nicely here in Las Vegas, I am reminded of
Tuberoses. These are bulb-type plants that require the bulb be dug in the
fall- after the first frost- and stored until Spring planting. It's a lot
of trouble, but well worth it.

The plant that emerges is a series of 12" or so narrow leaves, similar to
those of a Jonquil. There is then a single stalk, topped with between 6 and
12 small, white, trumpet-like flowers. The smell of just a single stalk
will fill a house for a couple days with the scent of honeysuckle.

My Dad used to plant between two and four dozen of the Tuberoses each year,
giving the flowers to friends and neighbors as they emerged.
--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
MAC

I bought a bag of tuberose...um, tubers at Home Depot, and am waiting
for the weather to moderate so I can put 'em in the ground. This will be
my first try, so I'm hopin' they like the location I have planned. I am,
however, a Darwinian gardener: if something doesn't make it, I'll
generally give it one more try and then give up and plant something
else. That scheme has held me in good stead so far, and reading a few
gardening books has made success even more likely, since I no longer
just throw stuff out there and hope it survives. These days I actually
try to match the plant to its optimum location. Crossing fingers doesn't
hurt either.

MAC