Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Jane Peppler

Default seeking hackberry (sugarberry), red osier dogwood

Hi,

I'm not having any luck finding either of these plants - celtis
occidentalis aka hackberry or sugarberry, or red osier dogwood. Does
anybody know a source of either? Or does anybody have any seedlings or
suckers which I could come pry out of the ground?

Thanks,
Jane Peppler

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Randy Long

Have you tried plant delights botanical gardens in Juniper Level, NC? Try
their website http://www.plantdelights.com

Regards.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Will Cook

Jane Peppler wrote:

I'm not having any luck finding either of these plants - celtis
occidentalis aka hackberry or sugarberry, or red osier dogwood. Does
anybody know a source of either? Or does anybody have any seedlings or
suckers which I could come pry out of the ground?

If you can't locate any wild Sugarberry (Celtis laevigata) seedlings,
you can buy them from the N.C. Division of Forest Resources catalog -
http://www.dfr.state.nc.us/publications/seed2002_03.pdf
($22 for 100 seedlings). Hackberry (C. occidentalis) is very rare here,
at the edge of its range, though it can be difficult to tell from
Sugarberry.

I don't know much about Cornus sericea, though I wouldn't expect it to
do well this far south.

Will Cook
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/plants4birds.html

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Raleighgirl

"Jane Peppler" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I'm not having any luck finding either of these plants - celtis
| occidentalis aka hackberry or sugarberry, or red osier dogwood.
Does
| anybody know a source of either? Or does anybody have any
seedlings or
| suckers which I could come pry out of the ground?
|
| Thanks,
| Jane Peppler
Jane,
I have a very large hackberry tree in my front yard. I think the
berries are just starting to sprout... come get all you want. I
live in NW Raleigh.
Remove Raleigh to reply.
Jeny

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Anne Lurie

Jane, if this is Red Osier Dogwood is the same thing that I think I had
growing wild in Vermont, I suggest that you give serious thought to planting
it!

Here's the Colorado State website,
http://www.colostate.edu/depts/CSFS/month.html, where it's mentioned "for
streamside riparian plantings."

This really, really looks like the stuff that I spent a lot of time digging
out from under my deck -- in Northern Vermont! (It was a second floor
deck, so the area got some sun, but it was hard to get the area cleared out
because of the tenacious "red dogwood" -- and this stuff survived -30
degree winters & no watering.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh