Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM

Default Got Asparagus!!!

It caught me by suprise. I figured I would have another week or two to
cut the canes, but it was peeping two inches out of the ground. Cut the
canes back, weeded and fertilized it Saturday.

Can only harvest two weeks since this is the third year (planted crowns
last year). I am looking forward to our first picking.

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)
Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Anne Lurie

Asparagus by St. Patrick's Day -- I gotta love the South!

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my asparagus patch -- it
had some horrendous insect problem last year. Unfortunately, just when I
was about to give the problem some thought, I entered "Gall Bladder Surgery
Hell" ....... by the time I crawled up out of that, I could not have cared
less what happened to the asparagus, sigh.

I've been thinking about tilling the whole thing under, but I decided that a
better approach might simply be to hit it with Roundup, then serious
insecticide, then let the area rest for a while & start over with new
plants. (I don't know what the original plants were, but we filled in with
a relatively new variety.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM

In article , Anne Lurie wrote:
Asparagus by St. Patrick's Day -- I gotta love the South!

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my asparagus patch -- it
had some horrendous insect problem last year. Unfortunately, just when I
was about to give the problem some thought, I entered "Gall Bladder Surgery
Hell" ....... by the time I crawled up out of that, I could not have cared
less what happened to the asparagus, sigh.

I've been thinking about tilling the whole thing under, but I decided that a

There is an asparagus beetle, but I forget the treatments. There threre
are a couple good websites mostly colleges that have info on treating
it. I want to say sevin, but not sure. I will see what I can find.

Gladd to hear you have recovered from the surgery. My wife had it
several years ago. Just came across the souveiner stones in a bottle
in the desk the other week.