Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Doug Bradley

Default Ice-bent trees

Hello!
I have a number of cypress trees (6-8') in height when are still
bowed from December's icestorm.

Is there any hope for them? Will geotropism take care of them once
the growing season starts? THey otherwise seem OK so I'm not going to
cut them down, just wondering if they'll ever straighten up.
tia,
Doug
Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Anne Lurie

Doug,

I don't think that Cypress trees have the capacity to straighten themselves.
I'm not sure about geotropism, I think perhaps you meant heliotropism, where
things grow toward the sun? (Okay, okay, forgive me, it's been a while
since I took 4th grade science!)

In any event, you might try propping up the Cypress. The first year that
one of mine had a branch that fell over, I told my husband that we had no
need to buy a Christmas tree, we could just cut off this branch. Although
he was not keen on the idea, apparently Cypress is used for Christmas trees
here in the South!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 01-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Baine Carruthers

It depends at what angle they are leaning and how many leaders. Generally
they will correct themselves within a few days else... 40%+ degrees and you
better plan on staking and praying.

--
Baine

bent crankshaft David K Lawns 6 22-11-2008 12:20 AM
Sea Shepherd Announces: Seal Defense Campaign 2008! Sea ShepherdCrew to Shift from the Southern Ice to the Northern Ice [email protected] United Kingdom 1 06-04-2008 08:41 AM
bent grass-bent out of shape Danno Lawns 3 27-10-2003 01:02 PM
bent crankshaft David K Lawns 5 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Ice-bent trees Doug Bradley North Carolina 0 24-03-2003 06:32 PM