Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Doctoroe

Default herb or weed?

It sure looks like an herb, but it has no obvious herbie smell.
Anyone know what it is? Sure is a robust grower, in the herb garden-
of all places:
http://www.farmphoto.com/homestead/m....asp?mid=37908
Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Bippy

"Doctoroe" wrote in message
om...
| It sure looks like an herb, but it has no obvious herbie smell.
| Anyone know what it is? Sure is a robust grower, in the herb
garden-
| of all places:
| http://www.farmphoto.com/homestead/m....asp?mid=37908

Looks like either cilantro or flat-leafed parsley to me. Wish there
was sniff-o-vision on the web so's I could sniff it 'n tell ya for
sure. ;-) My guess, though, is cilantro.

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM

In article ,
Doctoroe wrote:
It sure looks like an herb, but it has no obvious herbie smell.

Looks like Italian Parsley from here (though it seems a little big for
so early in the spring).

Compare with www.botanical.com/site/column_rita/par-it-l.gif

--
Steve

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Eileen Gregory

Hi, Can't tell the size from your picture, but I have some weeds that
look alot like this in my garden. They will take over the universe if
you're not careful. My similar looking weeds are fairly small, I'd say
about 4-5 inches across the whole thing and fairly flat to the ground,
maybe an inch high. The leaves are somewhat fuzzy. Mine is some sort
of Ranunculus.

Eileen

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Anne Lurie

I'll vote for flat-leaf parsley or cilantro! As for the smell, have you
tried crushing a leaf or two? I think that cilantro would have an odor.

BTW, that's a cool website.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

om...

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Doctoroe

I thought it looked kinda like cilantro too. But so far, no fragrant
smell from the leaves, and I don't believe there are flowers, but I am
going to let it grow and see what happens. Maybe it will take on some
herb fragrance as it gets older..
in the meantime it's.........growing like a weed!
--
That is a cool website.. lotsa neat farm stuff in there..
Cheers
Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Eileen Gregory

I think it IS a weed! Keep a close eye on it. The Ranunculus that I
think it is would have no smell and has very inconspicuous flowers. You
may have only one this year and 1 hundred next year! Let's hope that I'm
wrong. It's fun to find new plants either way!
Eileen

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Anne Lurie

Okay, so here's Guess #2 from me -- aside from cilantro and/or flat-leaf
(Italian) parsley, the *other* thing that comes to my mind
is............celery.

I didn't mention it before because I assumed the celery stalk would be hard
to miss, but I decided it may take a while for the stalk to form -- in the
meantime, the leaves come up.

Hmm..... Genting Garden website
http://www.gentinggarden.com.my/garden/content.html sells an "everbearing
Celery Leaf" among its many tasty-looking products! I thought at first that
it was selling seeds, but I realize it must sell produce to restaurants
somewhere 'cross the pond!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

om...

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Rebeccah Neff

Close--it looks a little like lovage to me. Lovage is a
celery-flavored herb, so crushing the leaves should be a give-away.
See:

http://www.cnn.com/FOOD/key.ingredient/lovage/

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:08:55 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

Okay, so here's Guess #2 from me -- aside from cilantro and/or flat-leaf
(Italian) parsley, the *other* thing that comes to my mind
is............celery.

I didn't mention it before because I assumed the celery stalk would be hard
to miss, but I decided it may take a while for the stalk to form -- in the
meantime, the leaves come up.

Hmm..... Genting Garden website
http://www.gentinggarden.com.my/garden/content.html sells an "everbearing
Celery Leaf" among its many tasty-looking products! I thought at first that
it was selling seeds, but I realize it must sell produce to restaurants
somewhere 'cross the pond!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

. com...

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Doctoroe

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am starting to think it's not an
herb, since there still is no real aroma about it at all. It is
starting to develop something that looks like tiny flower buds, so
perhaps the mystery will be solved shortly... I'll post an update when
that happens.
Cheers

Doc

wrote:

Okay, so here's Guess #2 from me -- aside from cilantro and/or flat-leaf
(Italian) parsley, the *other* thing that comes to my mind
is............celery.

I didn't mention it before because I assumed the celery stalk would be hard
to miss, but I decided it may take a while for the stalk to form -- in the
meantime, the leaves come up.

Hmm..... Genting Garden website
http://www.gentinggarden.com.my/garden/content.html sells an "everbearing
Celery Leaf" among its many tasty-looking products! I thought at first that
it was selling seeds, but I realize it must sell produce to restaurants
somewhere 'cross the pond!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

. com...

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Cyndi

Geraniaceae caroliniaum L. (Carolina Geranium).
Diffusely-branched semi-erect winter annual. Stems greenish-pink to red, densely hairy.
Leaves with long petioles, hairy, dissected into variously divided segments, margins blunt toothed.
Flowers pink to purplish with five petals. Fruit a five-parted capsule that forms a "stork's bill" up
to 0.5 inch (1.2 cm) long. Reproduces by seed. Found throughout the continental United States and
Hawaii. Also occurs in Canada, the West Indies, Mexico, Central and South America, and Australia.
http://www.griffin.peachnet.edu/cssci/TURF/turf.htm has a photo.

Cyndi

. com...

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Anne Lurie

Following up my own most recent post (which may or may not have actually
made it through, because I don't see it):

I had ventured the notion that the mystery weed might have been the leaves
of celery, then posted something showing celery leaves, then showed that
http://www.gentinggarden.com.my/garden/index.html shows "everbearing celery
leaf" for salads.

Since my curiosity simply would not let me "ignore" the .my portion of the
URL I posted, I painstakingly wended my way back to the home page -- and
it turns out http://www.gentinggarden.com.my is the home page for Monoluxury
Sdn. Bhd., which was incorporated in Malaysia in 1992 by local Malay and
foreign partners with the objective of investing in the horticultural
industry in Malaysia.

Gotta run, hubby's cooking most excellent veal chops that he got yesterday
from Fowler's in Durham!

(Oops, sorry, realized this is tri.gardens, not tri.dining -- but what the
heck! We still eat!)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

_________________

om...

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Doctoroe

Nope its not a Carolina Geranium. We have some of those too.. and they
are a bit different. This is denser, bushier. But thanks for the
suggestion. Neat web site on weeds too... By the way if you click on
that original photo I posted, you can see the plant in question much
larger and more clearly.

herb/weed id please? Cat(h)[_2_] United Kingdom 20 17-07-2007 05:40 PM
Herb Sale At Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium and Nursery mrchaos007 Texas 21 11-04-2005 09:07 PM
Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 10:22 PM
herb or weed? Doctoroe North Carolina 20 19-04-2003 04:08 PM
Is it herb or weed? Doctoroe Gardening 4 29-03-2003 01:08 PM