Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Susan Gillispie

Default lilac

Does anyone know about pruning lilacs? I have one that has just begun
blooming and it appears to be only on new wood. I have fewer blooms
this year than last, and I was wondering whether I need to cut it back
after it blooms.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Rob Smith

We had a couple lilac bushes that were way over grown from years of neglect,
we cut them down to about 3 feet tall in the fall, and last summer they were
about 4 feet tall and covered with blossoms. I think in our case it really
rejuvenated them. I can't wait to see what they look like this summer.

--
Rob Smith, NY
www.allwoodwork.com
. ..

Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Bobby Baxter - Wake Forest, NC

I just received an advance copy of the new issue of Fine Gardening magazine.
There is a feature on pruning lilacs. Have not read it yet, but at least
can point in the right direction when it hits the newsstands in 2 weeks. If
I get a chance to read it, then I will post.

Bobby

Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Anne Lurie

It's been a while since I had any lilacs, but it's important to to prune
them shortly after they flower, lest you cut off next year's buds.

I used to "deadhead" my lilacs (way! up North) after they flowered, but I
stopped doing that because I kept totally losing my voice for a day or so
after working with the lilacs -- OTOH, I know any number of people who
would say that's a *good* result!

Here's a link to an article in "Fine Gardening" magazine (as mentioned by
Bobby Baxter in a subsequent post):
http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00017.asp but I'm not sure
whether this is the issue to which he referred.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Bobby Baxter - Wake Forest, NC

The article that Anne linked to is an older article. The new article is all
about pruning lilacs. There are diagrams and different techniques
illustrated. The magazine should be availabe on or about April 14. Barnes &
Noble at Triangle Town Center will have it then. I received an advance copy
because I am an advertiser. You will be able to see my ad on page 101 of
the May/June 2003 issue, or you can simply visit my website at
http://thegardensite.com to see my new business.

Bobby

Lilac in pot K United Kingdom 3 06-11-2003 10:02 AM
Datura metel 'La fleur lilac' cultivation Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 1 27-04-2003 12:32 PM
lilac Susan Gillispie North Carolina 4 01-04-2003 02:34 AM
Lilac won't flower Peter United Kingdom 2 16-03-2003 08:08 PM
Dwarf Lilac - seem to have killed it? Rosie United Kingdom 3 26-11-2002 12:50 AM