Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Chuck Jurgens

Default Soil and leaves

I have a house on Lake Gaston in Warren County which has the worst
soil I have ever seen! A lot of leaves have fallen and I'd like to
incorporate them into the soil. I have the option of burning them and
then tilling the ashes into the soil OR mulching them and tilling into
the soil OR just tilling them into the soil.

Any recommendations on which option would be best for growing grass?

TIA

Chuck
Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
C G

Chuck Jurgens wrote:

I have a house on Lake Gaston in Warren County which has the worst
soil I have ever seen! A lot of leaves have fallen and I'd like to
incorporate them into the soil. I have the option of burning them and
then tilling the ashes into the soil OR mulching them and tilling into
the soil OR just tilling them into the soil.

Any recommendations on which option would be best for growing grass?

Mulch and till. Buring them will remove much of the value. Tilling
alone often does not chop them into fine pieces.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Starlord

I'd roto them right into the ground to help build it up. Would also get a load
of earthworm and add after the rototilling.

Dahlia-World
http://dahlia-world.netfirms.com/

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com

"Chuck Jurgens" wrote in message
om...
I have a house on Lake Gaston in Warren County which has the worst
soil I have ever seen! A lot of leaves have fallen and I'd like to
incorporate them into the soil. I have the option of burning them and
then tilling the ashes into the soil OR mulching them and tilling into
the soil OR just tilling them into the soil.

Any recommendations on which option would be best for growing grass?

TIA

Chuck

---

Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Tomatolord

well if you have time - mulch and then leave them there, by the fall, when
it is time to plant grass anyway they will have composted down and you can
sow right into it.

Which is what I do to build up an area that is hard soil...the worms will
come to the leaves as if by magic...4-6 inches of composted leaves will end
up being maybe 1/2 and inch by the fall.

Later!

tomatolord