Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Tom

Default Hanging basket for shade

Anyone know of a good hanging basket for TOTAL shade. My porch faces
north and never gets direct sunlight.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Penny Morgan

Any type of fern, including Boston, Rabbits Foot, Maiden Hair, Asparagus,
etc. Fuschia plant would work, impatiens. If it were me, I would mix
my favorite color of impatiens in the center of the pot (12"). Use 3 plants
in a triangle; add Blue Torenia (Trailing blue bell shaped flowers) around
the edges (maybe 2) and Asparagus Fern or white Bacopa (Snowflake)
alternately. You could use any hanging basket of houseplants too. They all
like light, but not direct sun. Wandering Jew or Lipstick Plant.

I own a flower planting service here in Raleigh, so these questions come up
frequently. Make sure to use some Soilmoist toward the bottom of the pot to
retain water since pots dry out quickly and fertilize 1-2 times per month
with a liquid fertilizer (water soluble) to keep the plants looking very
healthy and happy. If the impatiens get really tall and leggy, don't be
afraid to cut them back severely; you'd be surprised how quickly they grow
back and flower again, giving you a new flower all over again. Hope this
helps. Have fun.

Penny

om...

Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Anne Lurie

My first thought, Tom, was about some sort of begonia that would work well
in a basket -- not sure about the "trailing begonia" concept, but the
plant might work in some other container.

The other thought was Fuchsia! It's been a while since I was there (up
North), but when I lived in northern Vermont I visited botanical gardens in
Montreal that had wondrously gorgeous hanging baskets of Fuchsia taller than
I am -- literally, the baskets were over my head & the plant came down to
my feet. (The baskets were "taken inside" for the winter, but in my mind it
would have been well worth my while to have tried it..........except for
having too many inquisitive cats & "fetching" dogs!)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

om...