Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
MJC

Default Red Tips

Hi Everyone,
I know these are prone to disease but is it really all that bad? I need
maybe 10 in one spot and 5 inan other to create a "fence". We are only going
to live here maybe another 5 years but I want somthing in the works for re
sale. As we are retiring in September I need a quick, cheep fix.

MJ

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Marcy Hege

Yes, the photina blight is bad. Our "fence" became infected with the leaves
dropping off, leaving bare branches. We cut the redtips down and replanted
chindo viburnums. After four years, the chindos are about 12 feet tall and are
fuller at the bottom than at the top.

You can go over to the Arboretum and see some mature specimens to make sure it
will work for you.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Pat Brothers

Don't know of a local nursery that sells them any more. I saw some at a
nursery in the DC area. Many do get diseased and will not respond to
treatment. Having a plant with disease problems may not add to the value
of your property. Instead you may want to consider ligustrum - the big
leafed variety, hollies, such as Nelly Stevens, wax myrtles, chindo
viburnums if there is some shade, osmanthus fragrans, or even the much
maligned elaeagnus. They are all readily available at local nurseries.
Good luck.

MJC wrote:

Hi Everyone,
I know these are prone to disease but is it really all that bad? I need
maybe 10 in one spot and 5 inan other to create a "fence". We are only going
to live here maybe another 5 years but I want somthing in the works for re
sale. As we are retiring in September I need a quick, cheep fix.

MJ

Pat Brothers
The Powell House
Wake Forest
and the Perennials Lady at Atlantic Avenue Orchid and Garden Center