GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What ya planting? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/19883-what-ya-planting.html)

Raleighgirl 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

What a beautiful day it was to get out and plant! We planted a
variegated Wegelia, Sedum, and started a little Thyme rock garden
area. I'm waiting for the Gardner's Club sale this week to begin
working on a new huge butterfly garden area. I planted another
Redbud Pussywillow (my favorite tree!) to fill in a spot where we
lost a tree during the ice storm.

What's everyone else planting or doing in your garden these days?
Jeny

Susan H. Simko 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

Raleighgirl wrote:

What a beautiful day it was to get out and plant! We planted a
variegated Wegelia, Sedum, and started a little Thyme rock garden
area. I'm waiting for the Gardner's Club sale this week to begin
working on a new huge butterfly garden area. I planted another
Redbud Pussywillow (my favorite tree!) to fill in a spot where we
lost a tree during the ice storm.

What's everyone else planting or doing in your garden these days?

I repotted a dwarf fig and a hibiscus, put the chile pepper plants
(hungarian hot and peruvian purple) in the vegetable bed, some thyme and
dill in the herb garden, moved all the plants that were being housed in
the house during the winter back outside, planted some thai and sweet
basil in pots, replaced a gardenia that got killed during the December
ice storm, put up the hummingbird feeder, cleaned out the other feeders,
put down some patio stones to enlarge the patio, planted a poor
"orphaned" rose I found at Lowes on Saturday and pulled lots of
chickweed out of the front flower bed. Oh yeah, did I mention I spent
all day Saturday and Sunday in the yard? *grin* Wow, it felt good!

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Anne Lurie 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

Dang, Susan, I got plum-tuckered just reading what you did this weekend!
And I thought I was hot s**t because I planted 10 3-gallon azaleas & 2 roses
this weekend. (Of course, there were also the 4 cartloads of topsoil that I
"whittled" off my 3-year-old dirt pile with my TroyBilt mini-tiller -- the
tiller would have been worth its price if I never used it for anything else,
because that dirt pile turned to concrete while waiting for me to deal with
it!)

Luckily for my back, forearms, elbows & other assorted body parts that are
complaining bitterly about last weekend's workouts, I'll be in Memphis this
weekend, so I'll miss the Azalea sale at the fairgrounds this weekend.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

delirium 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

In article ,
says...
What a beautiful day it was to get out and plant! We planted a
variegated Wegelia, Sedum, and started a little Thyme rock garden
area. I'm waiting for the Gardner's Club sale this week to begin
working on a new huge butterfly garden area. I planted another
Redbud Pussywillow (my favorite tree!) to fill in a spot where we
lost a tree during the ice storm.

What's everyone else planting or doing in your garden these days?
Jeny

My new big thing is roses. I got 4 roses [1] on sale at Kmart this past
weekend. They were $6 for large, good looking roses so I'm hoping for the
best. They are currently holding in the bed by the kitchen door while I
wait for the dormant elephant ears and canna to come up so I can move
them.

In the veggie bed, I have planted most of the peppers which I got at the
Farmer's Market this weekend. It's a little early, but I'm feeling
confident. The tomatoes and the rest of the peppers are waiting till it
stops raining.

After I have all of those planted, I've got Anemone and Canna bulbs to
plant.

-Jenn

[1] Chrysler Imperial, Circus Rose, Baroness Rothschild and Sunny Delite

C G 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

Raleighgirl wrote:

What a beautiful day it was to get out and plant! We planted a
variegated Wegelia, Sedum, and started a little Thyme rock garden
area. I'm waiting for the Gardner's Club sale this week to begin
working on a new huge butterfly garden area. I planted another
Redbud Pussywillow (my favorite tree!) to fill in a spot where we
lost a tree during the ice storm.

What's everyone else planting or doing in your garden these days?
Jeny

Planted nothing, I spent Sunday afternoon with my chainsaw cutting down
stuff. Not as bad as it sounds, I was clearing out things like
sweetgums to make room for the young dogwoods.

MAC 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

I'll miss the Azalea sale at the fairgrounds this weekend.

There's an azalea sale? Woo-hoo! I'm there.

MAC

Patskywriter 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

i built a bunch of planters and filled two of them with hydrageas, cannas, and
gladiolus (the others will be planted later with cosmos and cleomes). i also
planted 24 gorgeous heaths and heathers and daylilies that i gleaned from
abandoned backyards. got stopped by the rains; hopefully soon i'll be able to
plant the bulbs, tubers, and plants i bought in bulk (gladiolus, lilies,
hostas, dahlias, begonias, etc) and i hope to prepare the soil so's i can
sprinkle out my marigold, four o'clock, zinnia, snapdragon, and dwarf sunflower
seeds. did i mention that i'm TOTALLY eliminating my front lawn? :D

pat

Marcy Hege 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

More than just azaleas...perennials, hanging baskets, rhododendrons, camelias
and more!

Susan H. Simko 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

Patskywriter wrote:

did i mention that i'm TOTALLY eliminating my front lawn? :D

I'm jealous! The s.o. appears to be opposed to me taking over any more
of the beloved weeds... uhm... I mean grass. *grin* OTOH, the front
lawn is pretty much gone anyway with the three beds that are there now.
The s.o. has yet to notice the new rose in the backyard. However, it
is in a "no mow" zone so there shouldn't be any questions. *grin*

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Susan H. Simko 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

Anne Lurie wrote:

Dang, Susan, I got plum-tuckered just reading what you did this weekend!
And I thought I was hot s**t because I planted 10 3-gallon azaleas & 2 roses
this weekend. (Of course, there were also the 4 cartloads of topsoil that I
"whittled" off my 3-year-old dirt pile with my TroyBilt mini-tiller -- the
tiller would have been worth its price if I never used it for anything else,
because that dirt pile turned to concrete while waiting for me to deal with
it!)

I must have forgotten to mention that gardening = therapy and I've got a
lot of family related irritation to work out right now. I got into a
veyr nasty fight with my father on the phone last week and then took out
the anger on the chickweed in the front bed that borders the walkway. I
felt *much* better after I was done. I was going to say gardening is
cheaper but I think my s.o. may beg to differ with me on that. Lowes
certainly appreciates it, OTOH!

Now, if only my sister makes me mad again on Friday (that's an easy one
right now!) so I can get up the steam to finish extending the patio this
weekend. The darned paving stones weigh 45 pounds a piece.
Fortunately, I only have five more to put in place.

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Anne Lurie 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

This weekend's Azalea Sale details (I think it's basically the same as Marcy
posted previously here). Azaleas sold by Gardeners of Wake County, Inc.
(formerly Men's Garden Club of Wake County).

Other groups holding sales at the same location:

- Camellias & Rhododendrons by the Wake County 4-H Club.

- Geraniums by the Pilot Club of Raleigh

- Perennials by the Raleigh Garden Club

Friday & Saturday, April 11-12, 8:00 am - 6:00 pm; Sunday, April 13, 12:00
pm - 5:00 pm

NC State Fairgrounds Flower Show Area, enter through Gate 7 on Youth Center
Road.

As I recall, it's kinda downhill near a little lake, but I usually just
drive until I see a bunch of cars with azaleas in them!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

MAC 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

did i mention that i'm TOTALLY eliminating my front lawn?

Good for you! We're trying to do the same, covering it with raised beds
and perennials instead. They look a lot better, and since it doesn't
face the road the neighbors can't complain.

MAC

Beth Peace 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

MAC wrote:
did i mention that i'm TOTALLY eliminating my front lawn?

Good for you! We're trying to do the same, covering it with raised
beds and perennials instead. They look a lot better, and since it
doesn't face the road the neighbors can't complain.

Would neighbors actually complain? We've ~almost~ eliminated the lawn (just
a patch left to go) and we've had nothing but compliments from neighbors
(one's copying our stone wall and another's doing some significant additions
to beds as well).

Who needs grass anyway.

C G 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

Beth Peace wrote:

MAC wrote:
did i mention that i'm TOTALLY eliminating my front lawn?

Good for you! We're trying to do the same, covering it with raised
beds and perennials instead. They look a lot better, and since it
doesn't face the road the neighbors can't complain.

Would neighbors actually complain?

If you live in Cary and do not seek permission from your immediate
neighbors, the neighborhood appearance committe and a permit from the
town, you will almost certainly get complaints. :-)

Chuck

Patskywriter 01-05-2003 06:47 PM

What ya planting?

If you live in Cary and do not seek permission from your immediate
neighbors, the neighborhood appearance committe and a permit from the
town, you will almost certainly get complaints.

wow! so in cary you don't see any upholstered furniture on the front porches?
and i'm not be facetious here. i remember driving down the street back home
(chicago) one day and cracking up when i saw people relaxing on an old sofa in
the middle of the sidewalk. talk about tacky. but i must admit, they were very
relaxed and having a good time.

pat