Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Swanson Cherry?

My neighbor mentioned that he has a new client who "is a botanist" who
recommended that he plant "Swanson Cherry" trees.

From his description, the tree in question has a spreading form (but not
weeping), and is really pretty, and the new client suggested instead of the
Bradford Pear trees he was planning (I'd already warned him about the
potential problems with Bradford Pear, but it was tough to make the case,
since my own tree survived the December ice storm intact. Also, I
apparently succeeded in warning him away from planting Wisteria!!!!)

I can't find anything on the Internet about Swanson Cherry -- does anyone
here have any hints? (I don't mean "for or against" just what it looks
like.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Baine Carruthers

I believe you probably mean kwansan cherry. It's pretty common with nice
dark pink flowers. I haven't seen any in bloom yet, (I believe they are
later blooming than yoshino)

--
Baine

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
.. .
My neighbor mentioned that he has a new client who "is a botanist" who
recommended that he plant "Swanson Cherry" trees.

From his description, the tree in question has a spreading form (but not

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Anne Lurie

Thanks, Baine!

I'm sure that Kwansan (or Kwanzan) Cherry is indeed the tree to which my
neighbor was referring.

As for being in bloom, I think there are some blooming in NE Raleigh,
specifically at apartment complexes on New Hope Road east of Capital Blvd.
(The trees are really stunning, but it's hard to get a good ID at 45 mph!)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Baine Carruthers" wrote in message
I believe you probably mean kwansan cherry. It's pretty common with nice
dark pink flowers. I haven't seen any in bloom yet, (I believe they are
later blooming than yoshino)

--
Baine

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
.. .
My neighbor mentioned that he has a new client who "is a botanist" who
recommended that he plant "Swanson Cherry" trees.

From his description, the tree in question has a spreading form (but not

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Elizabeth

Hi folks,

I have a Kwanzan Cherry, as do a few of my neighbors. If doing it over, I
would choose Yoshino instead. In this area, the Kwanzans tend to leaf out
before flowering, so the flowers are often obscured by the new leaves. I
think it is because it warms up so quickly here. If you want a really early
flowering one, Okame is nice. It has single-petal flowers instead of double,
and they are smaller and more narrow and upright in shape, but they don't
have the early leaf-out problem. The Yoshino is the one that is used widely
in Washington DC. The flowers look like white clouds from a distance -- very
nice.

Elizabeth

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks, Baine!

I'm sure that Kwansan (or Kwanzan) Cherry is indeed the tree to which my
neighbor was referring.

As for being in bloom, I think there are some blooming in NE Raleigh,
specifically at apartment complexes on New Hope Road east of Capital Blvd.
(The trees are really stunning, but it's hard to get a good ID at 45 mph!)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Baine Carruthers" wrote in message
I believe you probably mean kwansan cherry. It's pretty common with

nice
dark pink flowers. I haven't seen any in bloom yet, (I believe they are
later blooming than yoshino)

--
Baine

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message
.. .
My neighbor mentioned that he has a new client who "is a botanist" who
recommended that he plant "Swanson Cherry" trees.

From his description, the tree in question has a spreading form (but

not