Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Lance R.

Default wysteria vines and trees

There is so much of the wysteria vine around - it got me wondering if it is
harmful to the trees that it grows on. Does anyone know?

Lance

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Anne Lurie

Wisteria is nothing to mess with, IMHO!!!! Although my two were
[presumably] planted deliberately, I believe that a lot of the "tree-size"
Wisteria seen around originally had a "host" (victim} tree for support. By
the time the Wisteria had choked the life out of the host tree, the Wisteria
was strong enough to support itself.

I thought at one point that I had seen the description of the Raulston
Arboretum's efforts to eradicate the Wisteria that was invading its borders
(as opposed to the plantings), but I cannot find it right now.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Jared Richardson

I've heard it pulls trees and decks over and it should never be planted
unless you have a steel pole to run it up.

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM

In article , Jared Richardson wrote:
I've heard it pulls trees and decks over and it should never be planted
unless you have a steel pole to run it up.

Not sure about that, but it will make you pull your hair out trying to
get rid of an established infestation of the stuff. It is very pretty,
but invasive. I prefer to view it from another yard preferably a mile
or three away.

"Lance R." wrote in message
There is so much of the wysteria vine around - it got me wondering if it

is
harmful to the trees that it grows on. Does anyone know?

Lance

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)

Wysteria anubis2 United Kingdom 0 15-01-2004 11:14 PM
wysteria tree wyn North Carolina 0 08-07-2003 07:56 PM
wysteria vines and trees Lance R. North Carolina 4 11-04-2003 07:20 PM
wysteria won't bloom Karen Corbin Gardening 3 23-02-2003 06:03 PM
wysteria roots - can I lop them at will? Katharine Mill United Kingdom 0 29-01-2003 02:36 PM