Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
MJC

Default Hummingbirds

Has anyone seen one yet? My feeder has bee up for two weeks and I haven't
seen one. I realize its pretty early just looking for summer I guess.
MJ

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Will Cook

MJC wrote:
Has anyone seen one yet? My feeder has bee up for two weeks and I haven't
seen one. I realize its pretty early just looking for summer I guess.
MJ

Yes, there have been several local reports on the Carolinabirds e-mail
group, though I haven't seen one yet. They normally show up in the
second week in April, occasionally the first week.

Here's the local bird checklist with more details:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/chbc/trichk2002.pdf

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Lewis Spurlin

I have seen them.... Put out my feeders this weekend and they have been
quite busy,,,,, In Creedmoor, NC

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Brent Harsh

Will Cook wrote:

Yes, there have been several local reports on the Carolinabirds e-mail
group, though I haven't seen one yet. They normally show up in the
second week in April, occasionally the first week.

Here's the local bird checklist with more details:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/chbc/trichk2002.pdf

Since you mention an e-mail list, I assume that the triangle.birding
newsgroup really is as inactive as it appears. I re-did my
browser/newsreader a month or so ago and found it then, but haven't seen
any posts yet. Your own triangle birding website is great and I appreciate
the pointers - I'm one of those who doesn't usually bird locally, but
rather only when on vacation so my list is missing quite a few common birds.

obGardening: My Carolina wren family tries to keep up with the various
caterpillars/insects eating my roses and other plants, but usually fail in
the attempt. Last year, I made the mistake of spraying the roses with some
commercial fungicide/insecticide - the garage got real quiet after that and
I thought the little birds must all have grown up and moved out since they
had been flapping around for the past few weeks. Unfortunately, I found 4
little babies dead under the toolbench a few months later as I was cleaning
up . I guess the heck with the roses this year - the parents are back,
but not in the garage this time so I haven't spotted any young yet. It's
still early though.

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO
Cary, North Carolina, USA

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Jeff Giuliani

We started getting some activity at the feeder this past week, in Apex.

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
MJC

Thank you, Thank you Thank you. I too am in Apex so maybe they will be at my
house soon !!! Gosh I cleaned the porch for them and everything
MJ

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Tom Gauldin

To help you all out, I put up a little sign on our feeder to let the
hummingbirds know that there are some new eateries in Carolina offering
Hummingbird chow for free. grin
--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
MAC

I put up a little sign on our feeder to let the
hummingbirds know that there are some new eateries in Carolina offering
Hummingbird chow for free.

I think this post belongs in triangle.hummingbird.dining.

';-)

MAC

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Lewis Spurlin Jr

I put up My second feeder yesterday... both of them are staying quite
busy......... Hmmmmm More Food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Lance R." wrote in message
news

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Will Cook

Brent Harsh wrote:
Will Cook wrote:

Yes, there have been several local reports on the Carolinabirds e-mail
group, though I haven't seen one yet. They normally show up in the
second week in April, occasionally the first week.

Here's the local bird checklist with more details:
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/chbc/trichk2002.pdf

Since you mention an e-mail list, I assume that the triangle.birding
newsgroup really is as inactive as it appears. I re-did my
browser/newsreader a month or so ago and found it then, but haven't seen
any posts yet. Your own triangle birding website is great and I
appreciate the pointers - I'm one of those who doesn't usually bird
locally, but rather only when on vacation so my list is missing quite a
few common birds.

Thanks. I don't know much about these things, but the triangle.birding
newsgroup appears not to have been set up properly -- it hasn't appeared
on the list available at Duke or on Googe groups.

Triangle-area gardening is discussed on Carolinabirds on occasion (for
example
http://lists.duke.edu/majordomo-arch.../msg00248.html
). For more information about the group, see my web site
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/

Will

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
C.L. Lassiter

MJC wrote:
Has anyone seen one yet? My feeder has bee up for two weeks and I haven't
seen one. I realize its pretty early just looking for summer I guess.
MJ

Since I'm moving to Carrboro this weekend, I haven't filled mine
yet. The last couple of years I had early visitors in April--usually
in the first week. It was summer before I got my regulars though.

cl
Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Eileen Gregory

I saw one twice this past weekend.
Eileen

Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Anne Lurie

Some of you might want to check out the Hummingbird migration map at
http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html which maps reports of Ruby-Throated
Hummingbirds -- the only one that most of us in this newsgroup are likely
to see (Tom Gaulding being the exception -- Gosh, what are the odds of
that?! -- as he's out West in hummingbird heaven.)

Gotta dig out that feeder!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Hummingbirds BADBIL North Carolina 2 08-09-2003 10:09 PM
Honeysuckle Aphids & Hummingbirds -- HELP!! The Stromquist Clan Gardening 3 25-08-2003 03:32 AM
Hummingbirds MJC North Carolina 16 19-04-2003 02:20 AM
what flowers attract hummingbirds that will start from seeds/bulbs ? Henry Gardening 9 19-03-2003 05:44 AM
what flowers attract hummingbirds that will start from seeds/bulbs Pam Gardening 0 18-03-2003 01:44 AM