Old 02-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Belinda Zayas

Default non-blooming hydrangea

I've got 3 lush (green) hydrangeas that have not bloomed for 5 years. I
moved them 2 years ago, thinking I'd find a better spot for them to be
happy---more sun, but not too much. Still lush green, no blooms. They are
located in good soil, dappled sun/shade. I'm not even to the point of
complaining they are not blue---I just want blooms!

Any ideas?

--
Belinda

Old 02-05-2003, 12:08 PM
JoanD'arcRoast

In article , Belinda
Zayas wrote:

I've got 3 lush (green) hydrangeas that have not bloomed for 5 years. I
moved them 2 years ago, thinking I'd find a better spot for them to be
happy---more sun, but not too much. Still lush green, no blooms. They are
located in good soil, dappled sun/shade. I'm not even to the point of
complaining they are not blue---I just want blooms!

Any ideas?

--
Belinda

Doesn't phosphate encourage blooms?
/\/\/¨

Old 03-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Diane

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:

In article , Belinda
Zayas wrote:

I've got 3 lush (green) hydrangeas that have not bloomed for 5 years. I
moved them 2 years ago, thinking I'd find a better spot for them to be
happy---more sun, but not too much. Still lush green, no blooms. They are
located in good soil, dappled sun/shade. I'm not even to the point of
complaining they are not blue---I just want blooms!

Any ideas?

--
Belinda

Doesn't phosphate encourage blooms?
/\/\/¨

Are you pruning them? Some bloom on "old" wood not new shoots. So if you
prune at the wrong time, you can inadvertently prune the branches which
would bloom. Depends on the variety. Do you know what kind of hydrangea
you have?

--
Diane
Old 04-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Pat Brothers

Diane wrote:

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:

In article , Belinda
Zayas wrote:

I've got 3 lush (green) hydrangeas that have not bloomed for 5 years. I
moved them 2 years ago, thinking I'd find a better spot for them to be
happy---more sun, but not too much. Still lush green, no blooms. They are
located in good soil, dappled sun/shade. I'm not even to the point of
complaining they are not blue---I just want blooms!

Any ideas?

--
Belinda

Doesn't phosphate encourage blooms?
/\/\/¨

Are you pruning them? Some bloom on "old" wood not new shoots. So if you
prune at the wrong time, you can inadvertently prune the branches which
would bloom. Depends on the variety. Do you know what kind of hydrangea
you have?

Did all the new growth come from the ground or did you

have foliage come out on last year's branches? As Diane says, many
hydrangeas bloom on year old wood. The two winters before this one had
late frosts that killed most of the year old growth on my hydrangeas,
leaving only new growth and few blooms.
Pat Brothers
The Powell House
Wake Forest
and the Perennials Lady at AAO&GC

Old 04-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Genevieve Tharp

I have to agree with the pruning tips already given. I don't even remove
last yr's dead pieces until after this yr's blooms as often if the weather
has been really harsh over the winter, new growth will be coming out at the
very base of the supposedly dead stuff. And any dead stuff that doesn't
just pull out easily with one hand, I leave as it's not totally dead. I
always have lots of blooms each yr.

Genevieve

Old 07-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Belinda Zayas

They are supposedly Nikko Blue, but I've yet to see any blooms. I've not
pruned them in two years, thinking the same thing about old wood. I guess
the blooms are not coming again this year---any ideas for next? Should I
fertilize at a certain time? Should I try and prune? I'm at a loss.....

--
Belinda

"Pat Brothers" wrote in message

Diane wrote: