Old 02-05-2003, 03:45 AM
Nonya

Default WTD: Manure

Hey all,

Anyone know (and I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times, so I
appologize up front) where I can get free/cheap manure? I live in the
Hillsborough area, off of 70 and St. Mary's Rd.

I have a great pile of composting leaf material, but need some nutrients to
throw in.

P.S. I have a neighbor who is into organic foods and she has seen me
fertilizing my stuff with comercial fertilizer . I explained to her that it
is basically like giving the plants vitamins, and that there should be no
cause for concern when using it. Am I correct?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 02-05-2003, 03:45 AM
Kelly Garner

In article ,
Nonya wrote:
Anyone know (and I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times, so I
appologize up front) where I can get free/cheap manure? I live in the
Hillsborough area, off of 70 and St. Mary's Rd.

Ryan Maas is in Apex with alpaca manure... cheap! (as in free!)

(from an older post

"Ryan" wrote in message
They make it, I rake it, you take it.

Our alpacas are grain, grass, and hay fed. While we use no herbicides
or pesticides the hay and grain we feed might have, so I make no
claims about being organic beans, but the chemicals are at least once
removed.

I have piles of the stuff. Literally. They're making more every day.
Best part about it is that for you, it's free. All you have to do is
come take it. I suggest a plastic container, either a garbage can or
rubbermaid tote would do fine. I have old feed bags I could put it
in, but I'd hate to have
it tip over in your car! Some of it is fairly pure straight manure,
some is
older, some is newer, some is mixed with hay & straw. You're welcome
to as much of it as you want, they'll make more.

So give us a call to arrange a time to come visit the alpacas and get
some beans!

Ryan & Joanna Maas
(919) 303-1078

--
---
"New Zealand is the Carrboro of the world." -- TJ
Old 02-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Bill

So, I guess I'm overly cautious when it comes to my gardens. I only
use products such as PlantTone and Black Kow because I know these are
safe from any pathogens. Not that I want to stir up any compost tea on
the subject. I think it could be a win/win situation for animal owners
and gardeners. I just know that I can never continuously keep my
compost pile hot enough all year long so that it kills all pathogens.
Here is a good article on how to keep your gardens safe:
http://www.uga.edu/discover/educator...ngs/read63.pdf

Got the potholders on. Flame away.

Bill

Old 03-05-2003, 01:20 AM
MT Byers

Nonya wrote:

I have a great pile of composting leaf material, but need some nutrients to
throw in.

You can get a 50 lb. bag of cottonseed meal for $8.50 and fire up your
compost pile pronto. You'll only need a generous sprinkle mixed into
the organic material, so 50 lb. will last a while. Works great and
doesn't get the neighbors in an uproar.
I got mine at Southern States in Carrboro, but you have to ask for
*feed* cottonseed meal. The fertilizer type in their book is 18 lb. for
$13.50. Pretty clear choice.

MT

Old 03-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Wilson Lamb

Default Manure

Drive down road.
Look for animals.
Turn in.
Offer to clean barn.
Cancel gym membership.
Wilson

Old 03-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Anne Lurie

Scott,

Except for pointing out that I interpreted your "WTD: Manure" post as "Where
to dump the manure that I have" -- nuff said.

I'm just going to address your P.S. about "commercial" (presumably meaning
non-organic) fertilizer (and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that
you are *not* actually trolling in this newsgroup by being ingenuous about
equating fertilizer with "vitamins"):

Heaven knows, I have used my share of fertilizers on my veggie garden (for
the topic at hand, I'll limit this to edible stuff), and I've felt
"virtuous" because I was only using chemical fertilizers and not pesticides
on my veggie plants (I've come a looooong way from my days of using diazanon
on radishes a few decades ago!) -- but, here's the point: Is the stuff
you're putting on the veggies something you really want to eat? Do you
know?

If you are interested in learning more about the effects of chemicals in the
garden, I suggest that you check out the website for Organic Gardening
magazine http://www.organicgardening.com/ (it used to be a great magazine,
by the way, full of helpful information for gardeners of any sort, but I
stopped subscribing to it because it now takes only 15 minutes to read it
because there's almost no text, just illustrations/graphics/ads.) Also,
having just now visited the website, I'm not sure that there is even a
monthly magazine now, or just a bunch of topics.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

.