#1   Report Post  
Old 27-12-2011, 12:10 AM posted to triangle.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2010
Posts: 44
Default Pruning a schefflera

I have a potted schefflera that has gotten too tall. If I prune it,
will it come back from the cut? If so:

Where should I cut, green part or woody part?

When? Now or when the sun is stronger? It's in a west-facing
greenhouse wall until after last frost, when it goes on a south-facing
deck.

There are three stems, about 3/4" each. Should I cut all at once or do
one and let it get a foothold before doing the next?


  #2   Report Post  
Old 27-12-2011, 07:03 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj mj is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 191
Default Pruning a schefflera

On Dec 26, 6:10*pm, wrote:
I have a potted schefflera that has gotten too tall. If I prune it,
will it come back from the cut? If so:

Where should I cut, green part or woody part?

When? Now or when the sun is stronger? It's in a west-facing
greenhouse wall until after last frost, when it goes on a south-facing
deck.

There are three stems, about 3/4" each. Should I cut all at once or do
one and let it get a foothold before doing the next?


Are you wanting to cut back height or bushyness? I always just cut the
green but I am sure you can do both. I would hit it with some Miracle
Grow after you trim it up. Sun shouldn't matter
  #3   Report Post  
Old 27-12-2011, 07:46 PM posted to triangle.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2010
Posts: 44
Default Pruning a schefflera

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:03:20 -0800 (PST), mj
wrote:

On Dec 26, 6:10*pm, wrote:
I have a potted schefflera that has gotten too tall. If I prune it,
will it come back from the cut? If so:

Where should I cut, green part or woody part?

When? Now or when the sun is stronger? It's in a west-facing
greenhouse wall until after last frost, when it goes on a south-facing
deck.

There are three stems, about 3/4" each. Should I cut all at once or do
one and let it get a foothold before doing the next?


Are you wanting to cut back height or bushyness? I always just cut the
green but I am sure you can do both. I would hit it with some Miracle
Grow after you trim it up. Sun shouldn't matter


Height. It's growing like a tree: Long trunks with leaves at the top.
I have another one that is more shrub-like.
  #4   Report Post  
Old 27-12-2011, 08:25 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj mj is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 191
Default Pruning a schefflera

On Dec 27, 1:46*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:03:20 -0800 (PST), mj
wrote:



On Dec 26, 6:10*pm, wrote:
I have a potted schefflera that has gotten too tall. If I prune it,
will it come back from the cut? If so:


Where should I cut, green part or woody part?


When? Now or when the sun is stronger? It's in a west-facing
greenhouse wall until after last frost, when it goes on a south-facing
deck.


There are three stems, about 3/4" each. Should I cut all at once or do
one and let it get a foothold before doing the next?


Are you wanting to cut back height or bushyness? I always just cut the
green but I am sure you can do both. I would hit it with some Miracle
Grow after you trim it up. Sun shouldn't matter


Height. It's growing like a tree: Long trunks with leaves at the top.
I have another one that is more shrub-like.


Then I would cut it off to the height you want it to be and when the
new growth starts pinch about half of it. That should promote a fuller
plant.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schefflera 'Gold Capella' nyah United Kingdom 1 07-11-2003 12:13 PM
Strange fruit on my schefflera! David Jones United Kingdom 1 02-06-2003 10:14 PM
Strange fruit on my schefflera! David Jones United Kingdom 0 02-06-2003 07:56 PM
Set rubber plant and schefflera outside for sumer? [email protected] Gardening 8 20-05-2003 03:44 PM
Are Schefflera or Ficus considered true Bonsai? Caught-Napping Bonsai 3 14-05-2003 06:44 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017