Old 31-01-2012, 05:49 AM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Adding hair to a compost pile

Question: Is it ok to add hair to a compost pile?

I'm talking about dog hair, cat hair, and human hair.
Has anyone done it?
Does anyone have cites about it?

Thanks,

Dick
--
Richard D. Adams
Ellicott City, MD
Old 31-01-2012, 03:09 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 01/30/2012 11:49 PM, Dick Adams wrote:
Question: Is it ok to add hair to a compost pile?

Google "dog hair in compost" and get lots of hits.
The answer is yes.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 04-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Adams[_2_] View Post
Question: Is it ok to add hair to a compost pile?

I'm talking about dog hair, cat hair, and human hair.
Has anyone done it?
Does anyone have cites about it?

Thanks,

Dick
--
Richard D. Adams
Ellicott City, MD

I have tried composting dog hair but I found the dog escapes before the composting process begins. I will try again in the spring.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arry the plant View Post
I have tried composting dog hair but I found the dog escapes before the composting process begins. I will try again in the spring.
A padlock fitted to the compost tub will do the trick...

WD
Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Registered User

Wet dog hair will be better than dry.

Lemon curd will attract the ants/worms to the compost too.

Old 18-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Banned

Location: Herefordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by arry the plant View Post
I have tried composting dog hair but I found the dog escapes before the composting process begins. I will try again in the spring.
Hi,

Our website can easily answer this with lots of advice on there about what you can and can't put in to composters Mr Worms South West Wormery but the easy answer is yes along with many other unexpected materials.
If you have any other questions about this or any other dilemma then feel free to get in contact and we will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.

Paul
Mr Worms South West Wormery