GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hydrangeas in Triangle (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/20657-hydrangeas-triangle.html)

BB 05-05-2003 05:08 PM

Hydrangeas in Triangle

I bought few 5gal Hydrangeas at the Home Depot this weekend. But the
person there didn't know if they survive the winters here. So my
question is, will these hydrangeas survive the cold weather? Or will
they die away in the fall and reappear in the spring?

Thanks.

Diane 06-05-2003 04:08 AM

Hydrangeas in Triangle

Do you know the varieties?

Without winter protection, I've got buds aplenty on a 3 year old Nikko Blue
although it is sheltered from winter winds. I've also got flower buds on a
Dooley's Blue I got from Stark brothers mail order; this one is right by
the house and I'm sure gets some extra heat from the brick. I had hardwood
mulch about 3 inches deep around them, but they sprouted from about 3 feet
above the ground on wintered over wood.

Diane

--
Diane

Diane Wilson 06-05-2003 10:56 PM

Hydrangeas in Triangle

In article , says...
I bought few 5gal Hydrangeas at the Home Depot this weekend. But the
person there didn't know if they survive the winters here. So my
question is, will these hydrangeas survive the cold weather? Or will
they die away in the fall and reappear in the spring?

They seem to do fine here. Prune in late winter or early spring,
just above the last bud on each branch. They often get nipped
by late frosts, but that won't affect their blooming.

With the wet winter and long, frostless spring, ours are covered
with buds and just starting to open. Another couple of weeks and
they'll look glorious!

Diane