Old 07-05-2003, 03:20 AM
ncstockguy

Default moving asparagus

It's been three years now and my asparagus is still tiny. It
obviously is in a bad location, probably way too much shade. Can I
move it now? Is it likely to survive? If not now, what is the best
time to dig the roots and transplant. The shoots on these plants are
only about one foot tall with stalks about like grass stems.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:08 PM

In article , ncstockguy wrote:
It's been three years now and my asparagus is still tiny. It
obviously is in a bad location, probably way too much shade. Can I
move it now? Is it likely to survive? If not now, what is the best
time to dig the roots and transplant. The shoots on these plants are
only about one foot tall with stalks about like grass stems.

When I planted mine last year, the crowns looked like white dead roots
so I think when it is dormant would be best, but why not try it now.
Worst thing that can happen is that it dies and you have to start with
new crowns next year. Good luck.

--

Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)
Old 08-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Cheryl Andrassy

it should be ok to move the roots.

make sure you dig up all the roots if you cut some it will be ok the more
roots the better. you may lose some growth but they should regrow
om...

Old 09-05-2003, 02:20 AM
ncstockguy

OK I moved 'em. Thanks for the advice. They are now in a much
sunnier place. Hoping they shoot up some great big asparagus stalks,
maybe next year. Fresh asparagus..mmmm hmmm.

Old 09-05-2003, 04:56 AM
MFA

I remember my dad once had a asparagus bed.They never put out good either
but the ones he did get were certianly very good eatting.I,ve seen on public
tv show once that they arn,t really mature until they hit about 25 years of
age and can live up to 75 years.

Old 09-05-2003, 02:32 PM

In article , ncstockguy wrote:
OK I moved 'em. Thanks for the advice. They are now in a much
sunnier place. Hoping they shoot up some great big asparagus stalks,
maybe next year. Fresh asparagus..mmmm hmmm.

I put mine in the sunniest part of my garden. We got 2 weeks
harvesting and the plants are now approaching 7 feet. I have to fence
them in to keep them from falling over in the rest of the garden. Last
year I left the canes on after frost hit, but considering the mild
winters we have here I thing it would be best to cut them off after they
turn brown. One website said they would help keep the snow cover to
protect the roots. Chuckle. I figure the damp dead canes probably are
a place for disease and insects to breed.

Old 12-05-2003, 01:56 AM
ncstockguy

Asparagus shoots 7 feet tall? How many loads of cow manure do you
bring in each spring? How long ago did you plant 'em?
Old 12-05-2003, 09:32 PM

In article , ncstockguy wrote:
Asparagus shoots 7 feet tall? How many loads of cow manure do you
bring in each spring? How long ago did you plant 'em?

I planted them last spring. We harvested for about 2 weeks this year
before letting them grow into the ferns. After fencing them up this
weekend, I think some are now more like 8 feet now. The bed is 3 feet
wide. I tilled in all the compost I had and added about 2o bags of
topsoil and tilled it all in last spring then opened a furrow and
planted the crowns about 8 inches deep. It is a 28 foot bed. I may add
another next spring since the wife wants me to plant less of other
things. I only have 7 tomato plants this year. Normally have 12 or
more.

This year about the time the first spears broke ground I worked in about
10 lbs of 10-10-10 and just a week or so ago mulched with grass
clippings.

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)